Funkwerk Leipzig VEB CM7156 mic - modifying to EC92 only?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamasnan

Hello all!

It has recently occurred to me that the former East German CM7156 microphone, designed to run on 2 tubes (AC761; the DDR version of the AC701, and EC92) can be modified to run on just the EC92 (and thus reducing the very loud output sensitivity, and hopefully also the noise floor?)

The only problem is that there are NO schematics for this mic!

Here are some very good images of the internals of the CM7156: Funkwerk Leipzig Kondensatormikrofon CM7156 – Radiomuseum-bocket.de

Here is an image from Saturn Sound with what looks like a modified example (note also the connector has been chnaged from the unique 8pole connector to a common 6pole variant as found on the UM57): http://www.saturn-sound.com/images - microphones/funkwerk cm7156 - inside.jpg

It looks to me that the AC761 is the first tube stage after the capsule. I wonder how complicated might it be to carry out this modification myself?

Any ideas/insights/warnings?

Many thanks!!

Hello all!

It has recently occurred to me that the former East German CM7156 microphone, designed to run on 2 tubes (AC761; the DDR version of the AC701, and EC92) can be modified to run on just the EC92 (and thus reducing the very loud output sensitivity, and hopefully also the noise floor?)

The only problem is that there are NO schematics for this mic!

Here are some very good images of the internals of the CM7156: Funkwerk Leipzig Kondensatormikrofon CM7156 – Radiomuseum-bocket.de

Here is an image from Saturn Sound with what looks like a modified example (note also the connector has been chnaged from the unique 8pole connector to a common 6pole variant as found on the UM57): http://www.saturn-sound.com/images - microphones/funkwerk cm7156 - inside.jpg

It looks to me that the AC761 is the first tube stage after the capsule. I wonder how complicated might it be to carry out this modification myself?

Any ideas/insights/warnings?

Many thanks!!
I should be getting one to service in the next few weeks. I will trace out the schematic.