G7 in a NT2? Who has done it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufo

I want to know because I am wondering on how the grill on this mikes works with , say a peluso capsule. Any great bearing on the sound?. thanx.

Really? I always thought it had a brittle top end and was generally a bit plastic sounding. Any mods you know of that can improve a NT2 Gus, or anyone?

How about the G7 circuit and the stock NT2 capsule I wonder??

While Im at it, what are peoples thoughts of a tube mic into a tube pre? Too much tube?

[quote author="Gus"]read the microphone metas. A hint read the 800 thread.[/quote]

I read some threads, I found this from you Gus!

"Thats alot like the mxl1006 circuit. The following is what I would do.

Pull C12,C13

change C11 and C14 to .47uf polypros

change C15 and C21 to polystyrenes

Change C16 and C20 to GOOD electros make the 47uf 100uf or greater and the 270uf to 330uf or 470uf as big as you can fit.

make sure C17 and C18 are polypros

If you use the pad make it a 150 polystyrene"

Excellent! Has anyone actually tried this on a NT2. Unfortunately , I have only the one mike so comparisons once modded are going to be a bit hit and miss. Thanks Gus. :grin:

I was not clear in my post. The stock capsule and mount in another body and with good electronics might be very good.

i would definatly try the rode capsule before buying a new one. i find that some circumstances it can be compared to much more more expensive mics, whereas some times , as you said, it can sound abit harsh- might work really well with a pretty coulered output transformer?

toby

Well, that´s Krusch impressions about G7 circuit mod in a Rode NT2:

About the sound: The microphon sounds as bad as before (hyped, unclean highs, amphoric sound). Typical for China mics like this. This is caused by the cheap capsule that is build in by default

But he is using OEP transformers instead of Lundahl...

listen for what I did not say.

I do not like plug together head to body microphones. Alot can go wrong with the interface that affects the sound IMO. One of the only ones that got it right is the u87s IMO.

How many layer of grill mesh, % open area shape etc.............

Take a good look at the capsules in the Rodes. They do seem to change over time.

Alot of stuff can hurt a capsule. The capsule might not be the problem

OK, well all a little confusing, but I may well go ahead and try the rode capsule with the G7 design and a lundahl transformer. Thanks Gus and others for the feedback. Michael's experience with the rode capsule is bit of a worry, but its still worth a try Im thinking.

I'm not a big guy in the microphone business. So maybe I've done something wrong.

I bought the NT2 many years before. The more my listening skills are grown the less I'm satisfied with it's sound. Now I'm recording with a Neumann and I'm very happy. The sound of the Røde mics are on the same level as cheap china mics, I will never ever buy one again.

I did this mod after buying the Neumann to find some use of this mic (noone was willing to buy it). With the G7 circuit the mic had the same hyped highs as before. Then I did the Royer mod. Now it sounds more dark, but I still like the Neumann over the NT2.
Maybe one day I will buy a good capsule for it, but it's not at the top of my list.

Back