G7 Mic Construction Costs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paxworth

Has there been a parts list compiled for ordering parts in the US for the G7 mic and Power Supply? Also, what is the average cost of the microphone excluding capsule and tube?

The price could be heavily affected also by what one does for the body. Cannabalize an existing mic. Making one from scratch. Having a machine shop make one to your specs.

Also, considering you could spend anywhere from $.75 (or less) to $7.50 (or more) per cap, there's a wide range of possibilities. Then there's the connectors and switches that you have a variety to choose from.

For my build, not counting capsule or body work, I didn't make a list of my parts like I do for current and existing projects, but I think I'm up around $100 per mic. Used Solen, Wima, and NOS polystyrene caps, 1% KAO resistors, a Blackgate for the electrolytic in the mic. Nichicon and Cornell-Dub caps in the PSU.

Still haven't had the body made, and haven't had the money to get capsules yet. Check the usual Digikey, Mouser, Allied, Newark and maybe PartsConnexion and Michael Percy Audio for parts.

Do some parts selection on your own so it's not exactly the same as someone else's... what's the fun in that?

Daniel

Addendum: Forgot about the Lundahls. That brings it up to around $150 or a bit more per mic.

The price could be heavily affected also by what one does for the body.

I agree. For my mics the piece of brass for the body cost twice what the capsules did (cheap chinese capsules) !! Other more expensive parts of the build can be making the PSU & the plugs/sockets & cable you use. If you go the 7 pin xlr route it can be quite expensive & also proper valve mic cable is expensive.

I spent over £200 per mic :shock: As well as the connectors and cables,
for me the expensive bits were xformers (£25 each), and the capsules from AKG were over £100 each! But the brass tubes and PSU body came for free - they were scrap.

After looking up parts on partsconnexion.com, I noticed the values of the parts I want are way off when it comes to the voltages. I noticed many people mentioning they bought blackgate for the electrolytic but the voltages are way different.

(what is listed on the gyraf site)
2 pcs. 2u2/160V Polyester capacitors

http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/CapacitorsFilm.html
SOLEN- 51548 2.2 400v 0.0001 0.67 x 1.0 (17x25) $2.30 $2.05 $1.95 $1.85 PB

I am finding this problem with most of the parts I am looking up all ranging from 100-300v difference from the stated voltage on the parts list. Am I not looking for the correct part?

In general, caps should of greater-than or equal-too the specified voltage. So if 200V is specified then 400V will be fine, 300V fine, 200V fine. 100V would not be good.

Caps get bigger in physical size as you increase the voltage so if space is an issue you need to look out for this.

Hope that helps some.

z50

Back