G7 psu problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ward

I was checking some voltages in the power supply of my G7.
It measured not correct:

Pin2 had only a few mV
pin5 about 130 V
pin6 6.13V

But then I realised I was measuring pin5 with the switch in the 0V position. So I switched it to the middle position and ...
BENG
A blue spark and a loud noise.

The Heater voltage is still ok, but I read no voltage on pin 2 nor 5.

Ward,

I don't recall which pin is which. Is this the pattern control switch? If so you need to make shore it is a 'break before make' or 'non-shorting' switch, otherwise you get sparks.

I made the same mistake when I built my G7. My work-around was to use 5 positions of the switch and use only the first, third and 5th positions, leaving the others unconnected.

Maybe you blew a resistor, fuse or rectifier when you shorted out. Have a look here and trace the voltages to see if you can work out what is wrong.

http://www.omnipressor.com/Other/G7mics/Comments.html

Work carefully and be safe!

Hope that helps a little.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart,
That helps a lot.

The switch is indeed a shorting type, I'll change that.

I checked some voltages and it seems that I haven't blown anything before the switch.
G7PSUmiddle.gif

That looks fine to me.

Thanks

hi .i have a 414 an go to distroy for build g7 project.sound beter than 414buls?its good idea?.(my english its so bad escuseme).thanks!. :idea: :?:

[quote author="SUPERMAGOO"]hi .i have a 414 an go to distroy for build g7 project.sound beter than 414buls?its good idea?.(my english its so bad escuseme).thanks!. :idea: :?:[/quote]

Hey SUPERMAGOO,

I'll take any chance to practice my Spanish! :green:

Here we go:

(ahem...)

La cápsula del 414 es precisamente la que Jakob recomienda para el G7. Si haces una búsqueda aquí en el forum, encontrarás que existen diferencias de opinión entre la cápsula nueva (como la que trae el 414ULS) y la vieja.

Con respecto al sonido, el 414 es absolutamente diferente al G7. Yo grabo diálogo y narración en mi trabajo utilizando un 414ULS, pero con toda honestidad prefiero el sonido del G7... Es más "musical", en mi opinión.

Mi consejo es que fabriques el G7 y lo compares con el 414, intercambiando la cápsula y escuchando diferentes voces/instrumentos con cada micrófono... No te arrepentirás!

Y no te preocupes por tu inglés. Tu mensaje se entiende perfectamente. :grin:

Paz,
Al.

Here's the same thing in English, so y'all can tell him if I'm lying:

The capsule in the 414 is precisely the one Jakob recommends for the G7. If you do a forum search you'll find there's a difference of opinion between the new capsule (like the one on the C414ULS) and the old one.

Regarding the sound, the 414 is absolutely different to the G7. I record dialog and narration at my job using a 414ULS, but in all honesty, I prefer the sound of the G7... It's more "musical", in my opinion.

My advice is build the G7 and compare it to the 414, switching the capsule and listening to different voices/instruments with each mic... You won't regret it!

Peace,
Al.

que idolo!! muchas gracias por contestar en español!!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
yo soy fanatico de metodos de grabacion antiguos!!!!!!
voy a hacer pelota ya el 414!
pero el g7 con que mic clasico se podria asemejar??? con un c12 o un u67??. existe la posibilidad de mandarle el dinero a alguien para que me pueda comprar y mandar los transformadorcitos de audio?(lundhall).se me hace imposible comprarlos aqui en argentina. :sad: :sad:

[quote author="SUPERMAGOO"]existe la posibilidad de mandarle el dinero a alguien para que me pueda comprar y mandar los transformadorcitos de audio?(lundhall).se me hace imposible comprarlos aqui en argentina.[/quote]

Intenta escribirle directamente a Lundahl...

http://www.lundahl.se/

...o a Kevin Carter...

http://www.kandkaudio.com/

Suerte!

Peace,
Al.

Al me olvide de decirte que escribiste en español sin una sola falta de ortografia!!! :thumb: .y queria saber cuanto vale una capsula sola de 414 por esa zona (tengo un amigo que me lo podria enviar) porque el maldito distribuidor de akg en argentina no la quiere vender por separado y aca un 414 b-uls vale 1700 uss una locura y yo en mi estudio cobro 6 dolares la hora.es incomprable.saludos!. cristian.

No sé nada acerca del precio de la cápsula AKG... Sé que ciertas personas en el grupo las han comprado, pero cuando yo llamé al distribuidor de AKG, me dijeron lo mismo que a tí: Las cápsulas no se venden por separado...

Por otra parte, podrías hacer una búsqueda del forum y verás que mucha gente ha utilizado cápsulas de Peluso Microphone Lab, B.L.U.E., e inclusive cápsulas sacadas de micrófonos chinos baratos... el truco es saber qué micrófonos tienen cápsulas que valgan la pena canibalizar...

Lee los METAS y busca en el forum y encontrarás toda la información que necesitas.

Peace,
Al.

Back