G9 output

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a very good idea..

The G9 output is driven by an ECC82 SRPP stage, with a Zout of around 2400 Ohms.

So if you load it with a 1:1 transformer, your resulting output resistance will be 2K4 Ohms - a bit too high - and your output level would be 6dB higher.

But in order for this to work, you would need an output transformer that will work well (ie pass low frequencies) with a source Z of 2400 Ohms. These are not common at all.

The 2:1 output transformer ensures an output impedance of 600 Ohms, and I don't think that you'll need higher output levels than this delivers already.

But on the other hand, if you need more gain (e.g. using weak-output ribbon mikes) it would better to experiment with ECC81, 12AY7 or ECC83 for the first gain stage. They should be more or less plug-in compatible.

Jakob E.

How about making an unbalanced output just by leaving out the transformer? Wouldn't that work fine into a >10k unbalanced input?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Does anyone can measured Gain position switch (in db)?
Stupid questions?
I would like to know what gain I have in any position (like on Neve and similar).
Duka
I need only three poly caps and I will start to soldering.

Latest posts

Back