Gas stove conversion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Picked up what you see below earlier today , a Stanley gas stove ,cast iron with wonderful green enamel finish,
I dont have natural gas supply to my home , I'm wondering is a gas cylinder an option with this type of unit .
Really though I'd prefer to try convert it to solid fuel , the company still makes a solid fuel version in the same dimensions , there is a difference, but many of the parts are interchangeable ,so Im hoping I can retro fit it for around 100 euros , I bought it  for 20 and its an 850 euro stove brand new , so I can afford to dump some cash/light engineering  into it and still come out on top .
Stands about 25 inches tall ,with the horses head either side , pretty isnt it .

Attachments

• Stove.jpeg
    Stove.jpeg
    33.9 KB
Awesome and gorgeous...there is something to be said to heating a small space with more primitive elements...I think there is probably moisture and chemicals released into the breathing space that our evolution recognizes and gives assent to...

Forced air heat can create its own biological repercussions...we could all do with a burned log in our air once in a while.

Ive long been a fan of the flames , since the time I was a kid any excuse to barbeque and bonfire I would.
There is no better setting for a good chat with friends than a crackling fire to sit around , just staring in the flames the world and all its ills is a million miles away . no need for phones, social media or interuptions of the technical kind , this is how it was for tens or hundreds of thousands of years , makes my inner caveman very very happy  ;D

Some major technical differences between the gas and wood burning variations of this stove as you would expect , I should be able to fit the grate and ash box and fire bricks ok but the flue area and floor section will require a rethink .

Consult  GOOD gas technician. Bottle gas is much hotter than street gas. I had to have different jets installed in my ordinary (streetgas) furnace to burn propane. (Nearest streetgas is 49 miles of rock away.)

Cheers Paul ,
I was reading up on how the different gases work , different densities,preasures ,temps and gas mixes all require a specific set of conditions to operate optimally . I'd fool around with mains water plumbing if I had too ,LPG on tap or in a bottle no ,way to dangerous and I dont have that anyway. Base plate and flue of this fire are open ,ie they need to  draw external air in , with solid fuel air flow regulates combustion so its arranged so you can choke it right down to smoulder,gas for obvious reasons you cant choke out of oxygen because  if gas is flowing but isn't burning it might displace air and cause injury or worse . I wont be operating this unit where I eat, sleep or drink , more workshop heater in the depths of winter.

If the company offers a solid fuel conversion and that will do, I’d do that. LPG burns hot. If it’s not set up for that it’s probably not an easy conversion.

A Cocotte would look nice on that.

I have a Navigator  Little Cod on the way.

Wow those marine stoves are nice ,
Mine doesnt have the hot plate on top , but I am thinking about a kettle that mounts at the base of the flue so I can make the pot of tea or coffee .  Its hard to beat cast/enameled cookware , theres just so few things designed(with carefull usage) to last forever in this age .

Tubetec said:
Wow those marine stoves are nice ,
Mine doesnt have the hot plate on top , but I am thinking about a kettle that mounts at the base of the flue so I can make the pot of tea or coffee .  Its hard to beat cast/enameled cookware , theres just so few things designed(with carefull usage) to last forever in this age .
I recall years ago, before ethanol became popular for use in motor fuel, that people would burn the then cheap corn for heat in variant (?) wood stoves. Now corn is too expensive to burn for heat.

JR

There is moss in the Adirondacks that has magnesium in it. It burns when wet. An excellent fire starter. We found out the hard way when we lit a fire and the moss wouldn’t be quenched. We later found out that the moss was used to make photographic flash powder.

Theres a specific fungus that grows on some trees here , its dark brown ,kinda looks like lumps of sheep crap , when dried out it can hold  a burning ember for hours and hours , apparently in olden days you could use it to carry fire in your pocket .

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/tinder/tinderfungus/index.html

Tubetec said:
Theres a specific fungus that grows on some trees here , its dark brown ,kinda looks like lumps of sheep crap , when dried out it can hold  a burning ember for hours and hours , apparently in olden days you could use it to carry fire in your pocket .

Maybe don't carry than in your back pocket if you ate a bunch of beans.

JR

Tubetec said:

It's also in use to keep silverware from turning black. Expensive fiber. A bit of a waste to use it for fire making if you've got a zippo handy...

Polyporus fomentarius has become quite scarce in Europe, because of it's monetary value.

:D
The campfire/beans stew scene from 'Blazing Saddles ' flashbacked me  ;D

Ive lumps of that stuff out back , I found it growing on a dead tree stump nearby ,
You can just picture the puzzlement on the customs mans face when he searches and finds a collection  of what looks like  'polished turds' in a box  :mad:

> how the different gases work

In the US there's two different fuel gasses.

"City" or "street" gas comes through pipes throughout the town. It was originally a byproduct of making coke for metallurgy. You toast the gasses out of brown coal, get pure carbon coke and a gas which can burn in lamps. Crime fell when cities installed street lights. Gas light inside the home was less smokey than candles or oil lamps. These gasses were NOT "pure", having a large portion of CO (a poor fuel) and lots of CO2 and N. Since the gas was delivered by pipe it was not worth the cost to make it purer. (Actually the trouble was making it clean enough to not rot the pipes.) In the US, huge quantity of natural (petro) gas was nearly free in Oklahoma and Texas. The coal and oil markets and the demands of WWII brought pipelines to urban areas. Natural gas comes in various purities but is cut-down to the part-strength typical of coke-gas. (Despite the name, "natural" gas today is very highly processed to give the customary heat-content *and* remove any partials which are worth more than street-gas.)

When you need to put it in a bottle, you want the PURE stuff to minimize bottle and trucking costs.

Liquefied Petroleum Gas from the well-head is various strengths (stronger is preferred) but needs deep cold to stay liquid. Shipped around the world as raw stock for refining or large fuel users. You never want to see this.

Propane (and Butane) is a distillate (from well oil and gas) that can be a liquid in a reasonable pressure tank but a gas near ambient pressure. If you want fuel gas, and don't have "natural" gas, this is what you get. I have three 4-foot bottles aside my house, Guy comes most winter months and pumps liquid Propane into them, heats my house. (40,000BTUh ~~ 13KW) While oil and wood are common home heat here, banks and pizza-shops and doctors etc etc burn Propane. So do the local tourist buses. Butane is similar but no-good for cold weather- cigarette lighters (normally kept in pockets) use Butane. Also some warming-trays for wedding buffets etc. Warm-weather camping stoves, because But does not need the heavy tank of Prope.

Because of the difference in density/viscosity and heat content, piping Propane into a Nat-Gas burner will usually burn something out. They use different regulator settings and different nozzles. Propane is so hot that the nozzles are often sintered porous pills, because a simple orifice would dirt-clog.

Gas fuels and oil fuels are "tame" compared to wood. While it is possible to simmer a wood fire, it takes great care not to have a flare-up. Wood has to reduce from a large gassy lump to a dense bed of coals. The result is that a wood stove has to survive red-heat, glowing iron, while the tame fuels are throttled for a safe heat. I would NOT consider burning wood in a oil/gas box without the Maker's approval. (And it would be illegal here; woodstove fires are a big deal.)

Thanks for the info PRR,

Base plate and back panel of the gas unit are a lot different to the solid fuel version ,
top, sides front panel and door are interchangable . The fire bricks and fake coals in the gas version are made of a very light ceramic , where its a heavy fire cement brick in the solid fuel version .
Your right it would be foolish to go against the manufacturers recomendations ,
I think there's a good chance I'll find another wood burning version cheaply soon enough , and hopefully I can swap out the base and back  plate .

There's 3 basic ways to use gas here , one the domestic yellow bottle with around 11kg's of product in it .Second is mains gas ,if your in a location that has it , that all comes from off shore platforms off the south and west coast . Then theres the kind delivered by truck , for that you need a special tank installed . I didnt hear of a truck that comes and fills up cylinders , you could of course have BOC deliver cylinders of any gas you want , but filling them onsite I dont think happens much here . I know someone who used deliver gas by truck , I remember him saying if somehow you managed to rupture a gas tanker you could end up with a fireball two miles wide , he did roll one of the tankers on its back one time after a drainage pipe collapsed under a road upto a farm , minor damage to the lorry ,but the load remained contained  ::)

Ive had a while now to let ideas sink in and have come up with a plan .

I removed the gas burner /baffles and protection plates  from the inside of the unit , I can go ahead now and fit the solid fuel internals , parts bill  125 euros  , so not doing to bad at all .

I hope to use  a fire brick  or heat resistant block from a storage heater to seal off the end plate , there are bolt holes to secure it and I can seal it with fire cement ,  I have a small modification to do on the flue exit box  .

I found the upright and piggy stoves you see in the photo below ,  I'm getting in contact with the maker now to see if he can custom make me a special  boiler version with flue pipe through the middle ,should cost less than 100 . Might even be possible to make a steam boiler  if you did the pipes right ,

Attachments

• gas bottle stove2.jpg
    gas bottle stove2.jpg
    32.7 KB
Back