Genelec 8020 Repair - Blowing fuse & Dead transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am quite sure this is the traffo since when I swiped the traffo from the other speaker there was no short.

I measured AC and impedance on the good speaker :
Primary - Blue-Black: 108Ohms, 240V (AC)
Secondary - Yellow - Green: 2 Ohms, 18 V (AC). for some reason both yellows gave me 18V with the green, I was expecting one to be -18V, maybe I missed something.

The bad traffo measures same impedance on secondary, but 18 Ohms on primary (10X less).

So it seems there's a short in some windings of the Primary.
I have a local service that rewinds those transformers for 30€ to 45€, so I would resort to that.

i don't know if you have a transformer rewind service where you live

Well, not really. Like I said, I looked around and could have purchased a compatible transformer, but then I would have to source the Molex connectors, get the crimp tool for that size of wire, connect them (there are a lot of wires on those two connectors), fashion a mount that is compatible...

I would solder the wires directly to the PCB and doing a suitable mount would be pretty easy.
I really like DIY, so I value a lot the time I spend in DIY and Repairing stuff because I like it and have fun with it, but I completely understand that not everyone might feel the same.

I still think that $220 for that transformer is overcharging

Back