General interest references

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like an old book , might make an interesting read in the context of the modern day internet where lets face it ,some bright ideas end up having disasterous consequences , instead of getting filtered out by smaller groups before the shit hits the fan on a global level .

Economic Theory:
Friedrich Hayek--The Road to Serfdom (the basis of neoliberal economics, although von Mises and others were significant, this put the free market back into the cultural consciousness)
John Maynard Keynes--The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money (the basis of left-wing economics)

Literature:
some of my favorites across time and cultures--hope that acknowledgement doesn't rub anyone the wrong way ;)
John Donne's poetry and prose
Gwendolyn Brooks--Maud Martha
John Okada--No-No Boy
Dhan Gopal Mukerji--Caste and Outcast
Fanny Fern- Ruth Hall: a Domestic Tale of the Present Time
Geoffrey Chaucer--The Canterbury Tales
John Milton--Paradise Lost

Some unfortunate recommendations here imo but you all are entitled to your opinions, I guess.
I definitely agree that corporate wokeism is largely false, though.

Last edited:
Economic Theory:
Friedrich Hayek--The Road to Serfdom (the basis of neoliberal economics, although von Mises and others were significant, this put the free market back into the cultural consciousness)
Reader's Digest published a condensed version of Hayek's seminal work, for the mass market.
John Maynard Keynes--The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money (the basis of left-wing economics)

Literature:
some of my favorites across time and cultures--hope that acknowledgement doesn't rub anyone the wrong way ;)
John Donne's poetry and prose
"No man is an island..".
Gwendolyn Brooks--Maud Martha
John Okada--No-No Boy
Fanny Fern- Ruth Hall: a Domestic Tale of the Present Time
Geoffrey Chaucer--The Canterbury Tales
John Milton--Paradise Lost

Some unfortunate recommendations here imo but you all are entitled to your opinions, I guess.
Great literature is great or why would they call it great literature?

JR

I'm curious which ones are "unfortunate," in your judgement.

False as in a false narrative with little basis in reality or false as in it doesn't exist?

"A Monetary History of the United States" -Milton Friedman and Anna Jacobson Schwartz

for anyone generally interested in what post 2008 financial crises "Keynes-style-government-stimulus-intervention" does to markets a decade later.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WSHOMCB
"...once you go easing..you can never go back..there will be no tightening only more irresponsible spending and printing and fleecing of the tax payer"

"The dawn of everything" -Graeber/Wengrow----History
"Skin in the game" -Nassim Nicholas Taleb----Economics/social/etc-
"Loonshots" -Safi Bahcall----how ideas change the world (sort of Burkes "Connections"-lite)

Non-fiction books that have helped me understand the world somewhat
The Collapse of Complex Societies by Joseph Tainter
Revolt of the Masses by Jose Ortega y Gasset
The Technological Society by Jacques Ellul
Propaganda by Jacques Ellul
The Ancient City by Numa Denis Fustel de Coulanges
The Early History of Rome, Books I-V by Livy
Cannibals and Kings by Marvin Harris
Madness and Civilization by Michel Foucault
The Ego and Its Own by Max Stirner
Gödel Escher Bach by Douglas Hofstadter
Pretty much anything by Friedrich Nietzsche

Fiction (probably pretty basic)
Tristram Shandy by Lawrence Sterne
Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (perhaps funniest book I have ever read. It is incredible)
Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
Middlemarch by George Eliot
Any of Sophocles tragedies
Satyricon by Petronius
The Golden Ass by Apuleius

Tried to leave out the 'of course every one should read this' type works like Homer, Moby Dick, Don Quixote etc etc

How about "Rules for Radicals" by Saul Alinsky,
"Animal farm", by George Orwell (warning not really about farming).
"Gulliver's Travels", Johnathan Swift (again not about travel)
"the naked Ape", Desmond Morris
"Lord of the Flies" William Golding
"The Catcher in the rye" , JD Salinger
"the Hobbit" & "The lord of the rings", JRR Tolkien

etc
This is a work in process (experiment).

I will begin by listing a few general interest books, to see how this works, feel free to add titles you like.

-"Thinking fast and slow" Daniel Kahneman
-"Influence, The psychology of persuasion" Robert Cialdini
-"The madness of crowds", Douglas Murray
-"Pre-suasion", Robert Cialdini
-"Tribe", Sebastian Junger

-"Blank Slate", Steven Pinker
-"Homo Deus" Yuval Noah Harari
-"The art of war", Sun Tzu
-"loser think" Scott Adams
-"The world is flat", Thomas Friedman

==History
-"1776" , David McCullough
-"Killing series; Lincoln, Patton, Jesus, etc" , and others by O'reilly and Dugard
-"Andrew Jackson the miracle of New Orleans", "The Tripoli Pirates" and others by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger

===economics
"The Wealth of nations", Adam Smith

===Governance
-"The Federalist Papers", Hamilton, Madison, Jay, et al
-"Democracy in America" , Alix de Tocqueville

=Science Fiction
"Irobot" and anything by Issiac Assimov
"Dune", Frank Herbert

===Health, Wellness

The Psychology of Eating and Drinking, AW Logue
Sunlight, Zane R Kime

mo lata
JR
If it's not been added - the documentary "Drugs as a war against us: The CIA war agains musicians and activists" covers everything from Opium and MKULTRA to now. Paranoid, or is everyone (the rich) just out to get us?

I know you said reference. But fiction is there. Did anyone add - the 60's science fiction writer who marched with MLK... crud what was his name - he was so cool. Beer early today sorry - Harlan Ellison. He wrote the novelette that became "A boy and his dog."

There is a story about a publisher back in the day that owed him royalty money. Back in the time in the US where you could send things POSTAGE COLLECT. Meaning the recipient has to pay for the parcel. So DAILY, he sent a brick with a note attached, "you owe me money." I LOVE IT.

Take care all.. and before you decide I am some 9 year old idiot with leftist upbringing... I was one of the US army's first Sappers (7th ID, 13th engineer battalion) we were not in active war at the time - it was all considered "light intensity conflict" in some 200 countries - what they call asymmetrical warfare now - guerrilla warfare. I served in our only all sapper battalion - one of our squads would be attached to an infantry battalion to do all gods nastiness. This was 1980's US - We were the NEWEST U.S. RAPID DEPLOYMENT FORCE - and one of the ground pounding guys that author Tom Clancy based a character on. We were based in Fort Ord California, near Monterey/Salinas. Typically deployed 220 days a year.

Last edited:
Take care all.. and before you decide I am some 9 year old idiot with leftist upbringing... I was one of the US army's first Sappers (7th ID, 13th engineer battalion) we were not in active war at the time - it was all considered "light intensity conflict" in some 200 countries - what they call asymmetrical warfare now - guerrilla warfare. I served in our only all sapper battalion - one of our squads would be attached to an infantry battalion to do all gods nastiness. This was 1980's US - We were the NEWEST U.S. RAPID DEPLOYMENT FORCE - and one of the ground pounding guys that author Tom Clancy based a character on. We were based in Fort Ord California, near Monterey/Salinas. Typically deployed 220 days a year.
According to Wikipedia, sappers (support combat engineers) have fought in every war in which the Army has been engaged. Even during the Battle of Yorktown, for example, sappers from the French Army proved instrumental in helping the United States win the Revolutionary War. Since then, the U.S. Army has employed sappers in all of its wars.
===
Back in the 70s at Ft Riley,KS I met a LRRP, who fought in Viet Nam. Technically he went out alone on Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols, but basically they were snipers and saboteurs ambushing enemy patrols.

Sorry about the veer...

JR

According to Wikipedia, sappers (support combat engineers) have fought in every war in which the Army has been engaged. Even during the Battle of Yorktown, for example, sappers from the French Army proved instrumental in helping the United States win the Revolutionary War. Since then, the U.S. Army has employed sappers in all of its wars.
===
Back in the 70s at Ft Riley,KS I met a LRRP, who fought in Viet Nam. Technically he went out alone on Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols, but basically they were snipers and saboteurs ambushing enemy patrols.

Sorry about the veer...

JR
Yes - Beer - to my knowledge our unit was a the first ALL Sapper unit, and the first graduates of the Newley formed Sapper leader School. Sappers have been around forever.

For all the german speaking people :

Ruschkowski, André: Elektronische Klänge und musikalische Entdeckungen

ISBN: 978-3-15-019613-7

------------------------------

Latest posts

Back