Genuine Neumann versus Thiersch Capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd always go for the Thiersch. Siegfried Thiersch worked over 20 years at Neumann & Gefell. He knows his business and in all the blind tests we did his capsules brought so much more emotion to the table - it's outstanding.

If I were allowed to post some files I'd love to show you a recording we did for a Universal artist were we had to re-record some vocals in a second session. The first session was done with a DIY Poctop U47 with Thiersch and old Siemens Tubes, the second one with an original vintage U47 in really good condition from the 60s (Echoschall) both through a Neve 1073. You can't hear a difference. No one could tell. And we have really really experienced and super critical engineers in the team.
That blind test was really fun. Thiersch is the real deal.
I absolutely agree! I'm employee in a broadcast company, we have several original U47 (long body, original M7 PVC capsules) and they all are amazing but slightly different each other (you can't tell which is "best" or "worst": they have their own personality... ). Different story for two 1960 K47 mylar short body: absolutely identical and stunning. So I suppose that are the PVC ageing diaphragms which give little different nuances... When we where forced to do a reskin to a couple of faulty M7 we choose to go for the Thiersch PET option, and surprise-surprise: now they are indistiguible from the healty K47s!!! So, to make the story short, Thiersch do a great job and the result is 100% Neumann specs.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree! I'm employee in a broadcast company, we have several original U47 (long body, original M7 PVC capsules) and they all are amazing but slightly different each other (you can't tell which is "best" or "worst": they have their own personality... ). Different story for two 1960 K47 mylar short body: absolutely identical and stunning. So I suppose that are the PVC ageing diaphragms which give little different nuances... When we where forced to do a reskin to a couple of faulty M7 we choose to go for the Thiersch PET option, and surprise-surprise: now they are indistiguible from the healty K47s!!! So, to make the story short, Thiersch do a great job and the result is 100% Neumann specs.
PVC or Mylar reskin?

Latest posts

Back