Geoff Emerick

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

I had the deep, deep pleasure of meeting Geoff Emerick yesterday and today, and it was an extraordinary experience.

This semester I'm teaching a class in analog recording, and when I walked into the control room there he was, along with the department chair. We shook hands, and I asked him if he'd like to talk to the class. "Heavens, no!" he said. "I just got off the plane from the west coast. I'm here to hear you."

Gulp. So I went on with my scheduled discussion of the theory behind setting up tape machines, a little nervous. After all, I'm lecturing about tape recorders to the guy who recorded the Beatles.

Here's what's amazing: after ten minutes, I wasn't nervous at all. He threw in a few comments, a question or two, and the department chair had some comments as well, but it was mostly Emerick. There's something about him that puts people completely at ease. He's totally unassuming, has a wry British sense of humor, and...well, he's so utterly relaxed that you relax too. I suspect this is one of the many reasons he's a great recording engineer.

Tonight, after a delightful hour chat session down in the basement, he gave his scheduled talk (with music, beginning with "Tomorrow Never Knows") -- and floored us all. His stories were direct, to the point, often very funny, and perfectly geared to the audience of future audio engineers. He seems like the world's least likely visionary, but assuredly he is one -- with the practical skill to bring his visions to the rest of us.

At the end of the evening, when we were chatting again, he told us stragglers that when he was young he'd seen a UFO, and from that moment he'd believed that nothing was impossible. He took that belief with him into the studio -- and showed us that it was true.

Peace,
Paul

Most excellent! It seems as if your reputation preceded you. sounds like your deptment chair told him about you and he was there to see you. I dont doubt it. To me, your presence here is no different. cheers and it couldnt happen to a better guy here. :guinness:

and thanks for sharing.

(Mr Emerick is another one of those guys that doesnt really exist. they just recreate him for what ever "too big for humans" type of session. Someone else posted an email from pete townsend answering another post and I seriously had no concept of pete having email!HA! these people arent really people...are they? )

Very cool, Paul! I read Geoff's book a year or two ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. If George Martin was the fifth Beatle, then Geoff was surely the sixth! Oh, and I'm with Mr. Morris--clearly he was interested in hearing what you had to say. :thumb:

A P

I haven't seen a UFO yet, but I have had a close encounter of the third kind (UCLA Mathematical Sciences Annex, 8th floor, ~4AM, in 1974).

And that has, so far, been by no means the most remarkable thing to experience in this lifetime.

[quote author="amorris"]Most excellent! It seems as if your reputation preceded you. sounds like your deptment chair told him about you and he was there to see you. I dont doubt it. To me, your presence here is no different. cheers and it couldnt happen to a better guy here. :guinness:[/quote]

Thanks for the compliments, and the Guinness. I am now blushing. :guinness:

Peace,
Paul

Congrats, Paul! :thumb:

I agree, it's not unlikely he knew some of your articles, why not?

Cheers,
Andreas

Latest posts

Back