Gerber editor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I was given a Gerber file. it's a simple PCB doing db25 to solder pins. Without the original kicad file or whatever, is there anyway to edit the gerber to add txt or whatever?

The Gerber is a text file, one workaround is to edit it directly, then check the edit with a viewer.
Wow, I'm getting the hang of the new forum software...I added a quote!

Kicad files are also ASCII text, but it takes awhile to figure out everything. I spent some time trying to create a PCB footprint for a 500 module style edge connector. Begin with a "stock" 15 pin header footprint, open text editor, jiggle parameters, save, open in Kicad, rinse and repeat <g> many times. I ASSume Gerbers can also be tweaked after a few hours of reverse engineering the format.

Bri

I like John's approach :)

It's amazing what you can do with merely a text editor.

It seems GerberLogix can do editing and there's a free version:

https://www.easylogix.de/products_detail.php?prog_id=1
Windows only.

FAB3000 is cross-platform and has a trial version:

https://www.numericalinnovations.com/collections/fab-3000-gerber-cam
I've never used any of these myself as in the rare cases I had to edit a gerber file, I tend to use John's method...
fab 3000 would not let me download. apparently they could not validate my email or basically I am not worth their time.

I was given a Gerber file. it's a simple PCB doing db25 to solder pins. Without the original kicad file or whatever, is there anyway to edit the gerber to add txt or whatever?
GREETINGS!!! I just so happened to have a version of "FAB3000 Version 8.0" on my computer here and seeing the issues that both you and some others are having, I just uploaded the program as a ZIP-file to an online web-storage site of mine. This software is WINDOWS-only and I also included a "Getting Started" PDF file to help you learn how to use it. And, just so you know.....the ZIP-file is 111MB in size!!!

And, just so you also know.....while GERBER files can certainly be edited (I have done so countless numbers of times!!!), you do have to be careful and you have to watch what you're doing. The DRC (Design Rule Check) within a GERBER editor is different than the DRC check within a PCB design program. So, if you are not carefully watching out of what it is that you are editing, it is possible to introduce an error that a PCB DRC check would catch, but be overlooked by the GERBER editor DRC.

Also, once you complete your GERBER editing, you - should - save the updated GERBER files as a "New Name". This is so because if you made one or more mistakes along the way, you can still go back to the original GERBER files and try them again. Otherwise.....OOPS!!!

And, also, also.....within FAB3000 it is also possible to edit and re-locate any of the PCB drill holes. Doing so is only a bit more tricky, but certainly doable. I have done this when "Thru-Hole" components were needed to be moved and the original PCB CAD-design file was not available. You can also change the drill size, should that ever be necessary, as well. Again, you will need to save a new "Excellon N/C Drill 2.3 File" to capture those changes.

Anyway.....I hope this helps you out with whatever it is that you are attempting to accomplish!!!

/

FAB3000 - Version 8 GERBER Editor

GREETINGS!!! I just so happened to have a version of "FAB3000 Version 8.0" on my computer here and seeing the issues that both you and some others are having, I just uploaded the program as a ZIP-file to an online web-storage site of mine. This software is WINDOWS-only and I also included a "Getting Started" PDF file to help you learn how to use it. And, just so you know.....the ZIP-file is 111MB in size!!!

And, just so you also know.....while GERBER files can certainly be edited (I have done so countless numbers of times!!!), you do have to be careful and you have to watch what you're doing. The DRC (Design Rule Check) within a GERBER editor is different than the DRC check within a PCB design program. So, if you are not carefully watching out of what it is that you are editing, it is possible to introduce an error that a PCB DRC check would catch, but be overlooked by the GERBER editor DRC.

Also, once you complete your GERBER editing, you - should - save the updated GERBER files as a "New Name". This is so because if you made one or more mistakes along the way, you can still go back to the original GERBER files and try them again. Otherwise.....OOPS!!!

And, also, also.....within FAB3000 it is also possible to edit and re-locate any of the PCB drill holes. Doing so is only a bit more tricky, but certainly doable. I have done this when "Thru-Hole" components were needed to be moved and the original PCB CAD-design file was not available. You can also change the drill size, should that ever be necessary, as well. Again, you will need to save a new "Excellon N/C Drill 2.3 File" to capture those changes.

Anyway.....I hope this helps you out with whatever it is that you are attempting to accomplish!!!

/

FAB3000 - Version 8 GERBER Editor
Thanks for that. What needs to be a accomplished is fixing some top silk screen

Also after installing software I still need a trial code which gets me back to the website and the going in circles as I had previously.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. What needs to be a accomplished is fixing some top silk screen

Also after installing software I still need a trial code which gets me back to the website and the going in circles as I had previously.
[I still need a trial code] -- For that.....yer gonna havta contact FAB3000 and get a trial code. They're good for 30-days. I can't help you there.

However, there is another GERBER editor choice and one that I have been using for nearly 30-years and that is "CAM350" by Downstream Technologies. You can check them out at - downstreamtech.com - and look up "CAM350". They also have other - GREAT - "after-the-fact" PCB design tools.

Finally.....here is a website that has an entire list of "PCB Design Tools" and "PCB GERBER Viewers/Tools" which are downloadable and many of these programs have varying types of a "Demo Version" available. If you believe that you are going to be involved in any type of either PCB design or GERBER data editing, then I would highly recommend going ahead and purchasing one or more of these programs. "FREE" will only take you so far!!! Here is the website:

PCB Design & GERBER Editing Software List

Hope this helps!!!

/

[I still need a trial code] -- For that.....yer gonna havta contact FAB3000 and get a trial code. They're good for 30-days. I can't help you there.

However, there is another GERBER editor choice and one that I have been using for nearly 30-years and that is "CAM350" by Downstream Technologies. You can check them out at - downstreamtech.com - and look up "CAM350". They also have other - GREAT - "after-the-fact" PCB design tools.

Finally.....here is a website that has an entire list of "PCB Design Tools" and "PCB GERBER Viewers/Tools" which are downloadable and many of these programs have varying types of a "Demo Version" available. If you believe that you are going to be involved in any type of either PCB design or GERBER data editing, then I would highly recommend going ahead and purchasing one or more of these programs. "FREE" will only take you so far!!! Here is the website:

PCB Design & GERBER Editing Software List

Hope this helps!!!

/
Yes but when I contact the company they won’t give a demo code because it’s a personal email
And not a company email

Yes but when I contact the company they won’t give a demo code because it’s a personal email
And not a company email
[they won’t give a demo code because it’s a personal email] -- C'mon, Man!!! Ya gotta be "creative", ya know??? All ya gotta do is create a "business" e-mail address on Gmail or Yahoo or some other "FREE" e-mail address provider. It ain't "rocket science", OK??? Just "make-up" something, like "Pucho Recording Studios" or, "Pucho Audio Productions" or, "812 Audio & Music Recording Services" or, "Studio 812 Recording" or whatever and make an e-mail address out of it. But, whatever name that you come up with, make it something that you like and that you can live with, as you will probably end up using it for real to receive recording magazine newsletters, forum posts like the one we're on here, magazine subscriptions, etc. Then, wait a week or two and contact the company again (maybe by then they will have "forgotten" about you) and try to get a "Trial Code" again.

On the other hand, since you are dealing with a company that has a PCB "GERBER Editor" program, perhaps it may be more fitting to come up with a "business" name along the lines of "812 Audio Designs" (which could be something like "812.audio.[email protected]" -- notice the - . - between each different word) or whatever. A name like that would tend to come across as more of a type of company that is involved with PCB designs than a "recording studio" type of company. In any case.....give it a shot and try for a code again in a week or two. Just remember....."There's always a way"!!! Be persistent!!!

/

Latest posts

Back