Germanium Tr makers in europe?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be sort of surprised if there were ANY factories making any sort of discrete germanium transistors anywhere, nowadays.

Maybe i'm cynical, but i think your current choices are NOS, or fakes.

Looking for custom work from a nice factory
I used to work for Tyco Electronics, and at the time they bough a fab, which also had germanium as a process. But they are only making very specific semiconductors for optical communication, so they probably are not interested in making discrete germanium transistors. I think the main challenge is to find a fab who does low low volume discrete semiconductors, and then an extra challenge to find one which also still has germanium deposition. Not easy, I think. There's also a fab on the HTC in Eindhoven (NL), they have a number of processes, and only do very low volumes.

Would you know about any factory currently making germanium transistors in europe?
thanks
best

Theres no new gear using Germanium transistors made in the last 40 years (besides the very small boutique guitar pedal market), maybe even 50 years, so there’s no reason to produce that at all.

As far as I know the only people in the world that use germanium transistors are the Fuzz guitar pedal builders and DIY crowd making those pedals, and all those use NOS transistors, which in fact there is plenty still in the world.

If you need Really good and military grade AC128, I have a local shop that still has a lot of full un-opened Boxes in their wharehouse. Maybe each box has 100 or more.
I bought a few and were very consistent and good.
Let me know if you need them and I can get those for you.

these are the ones, they also have many other AC1XX transistor models:

8335FF9F-8AFB-48B2-B92B-D0B7509A2D66.jpeg

Latest posts

Back