Getting my computer in to a machine room...dante?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really interesting, I hadn't realised that Ravenna was around first. The underlying transport and timing mechanisms in Ravenna align well with AES67. I suppose it's not surprising as AES67 is really more of a specification of interoperability than a ground-up spec in its own right. All the Ravenna-enabled devices I've come across offer a very good level of AES67 compliance.

As for SMPTE 2110, I'm not sure that a separate control network is a hard-and-fast requirement. (I think I've read all of 2110 now but only once, so I'm happy to be corrected!) It certainly is the case though that larger installations benefit from a separate control LAN, and that broadcast oriented kit tends to offer a separate control ethernet interface to facilitate this. A lot of the really big installs are taking their lead, from a network topology perspective, from datacentre design where out-of-band management LANs are assumed.

I've been sending audio over ip for years now. My way.

So I've been following the proceedings. I prefer open, so I've always been a fan of AVB. Of course, wanting to be the "one size fits all" protocol, makes things complicated. It's kind of a moving target.

The most exciting stuff is happening in corporate audio these days. They've been integrating stuff like VOIP, video conferencing and WebRTC.

I don't see a future for a protocol that doesn't include video.

Dante,

at current is able to do video, it is Dante AV. Dante is pretty powerful. take the free certification tests, well worth the few hours it takes and it will give you a good comprehensive overview of Dante.  For most folks, level 1 and level 2 will do. If you really want to get into the networking side of how it all gets together, then do level 3 as well. programing a switch to handle Dante as well as regular internet can be a pain but can really dial in the network.

Dante has many things going for it such discoverability, the length you can run devices and the fact it's currently accepted in more products then any other audio over IP protocol makes it easy to pick and choose what you want from a lot of manufactures.

Dante's dicovery is simply good ol' AppleTalk's Bonjour, also called ZeroConfig, Rendez-Vous and a few other names.

That's fine, except it was built for a local network. Never intended to be routed out over the net. Seems to induce a few hard-to-estimate security problems. Not as bad as UPnP, tho.

Apple is moving away from it. Might take a decade or so before it's really gone. Just like iSCSI and some other protocols.

Latest posts

Back