Glenn Gould at Columbia in 1959

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston OBoogie

I came across this documentary while perusing for Glenn Gould recordings. 
From about 2:15 mins in, we get to see inside the Columbia Studio. 
Some nice shots of their Ampex machines, Neumann M50's in Decca tree config., and a few shots of the desk.  This is during his recording of Bach's  "Italian Concerto" which was released in 1959. 

https://youtu.be/g0MZrnuSGGg

Dig the extended front baffles and horns on the Altec speakers. 

RCA KU-3A out on the floor with all the M50's. 

EmRR said:
Dig the extended front baffles and horns on the Altec speakers. 

RCA KU-3A out on the floor with all the M50's.

Yep, me too  :)  Wonderful stuff. 
What do you think the RCA was there for, enhancing the  Neumann's or not in the mix? 

abbey road d enfer said:
I have  a feeling the dialog between GG and his MD at the end is picked up by this mic.

Yes that's probably it Abbey.    Could be part of the camera crew's kit. 

Thanks a lot Winston for posting! :)

Having been exposed to Bach´s music from childhood on, I always perceived something special happening when Gould played it. Apart from his colourful personality, there´s something commanding the whole of my attention, even though I find him to play a tad too fast (probably I´m a slow listener). This is what
mastery sounds like...

Also good insight in his personality. I very much like how his humming is accepted and dealt with even in the pro world (I could do without it), I don´t see that happening with today´s glossy perfect productions.

A pleasure to see the chunky, focus-on-important-things tech of the day.
The future seemed so bright then...

Is the "inverse" Decca Tree a common configuration for recording solo piano?
What makes the M50 so special in your (all) opinion?

Great seeing this Winston.    The tape machines with the black electronics don’t look like ampex machines.    The 351’s are but the recording is to the black face machines.

I would love to hear some M50s in person.  The naturalness of the ambience with clarity and balance is the reputation.  Since they are Omni,  the Decca tree is a usual application but wide spaced omni is also used.  There is a description of them about using them in a hall to record orchestra.  It’s said that even at 30 feet, you can hear the sound of a man rubbing his whiskers on his face and the engineer hear the high frequency of that action in a quiet room. 
Might be just urban myth. 

I always think Fairchild when I see black electronics.  They rebranded a lot of stuff. Could be in-house. 

GG was the greatest Bach player of all time IMO.

I agree his tempo are crazy at times.

I watched a fascinating YouTube wherein one of his contemporaries, who also took piano lessons from the same teacher, sat down and played EXACTLY.LIKE.HIM.

I mean, exactly.  She was an elderly lady. She said she and Glenn were taught a special method of playing using relaxation in between notes, and a very flat handed playing position.

I realized my greatest enemy when I play is tension, so there’s something to it. Well, that and a musical genius brain lol...

Thx for posting...

Mike

fazer said:
  The tape machines with the black electronics don’t look like ampex machines.    The 351’s are but the recording is to the black face machines.
all tape machines shown are Ampex model 300.
the black face fronts appear to be custom panels (level controls and the Columbia standard Weston VU),
most likely done in house.
electronics assemblies (aka bath-tub)  for mono 300 machines are located under the transport.

Yep, looks like custom monitor panels in the over-bridge of the mono Ampex machines.  Simultaneous recording to 3 track and mono with playbacks from the mono machine.

I too think Gould may have been the greatest player of Bach on record. 

L´Andratté said:
Don´t miss the other part "Off the record"...! No rec gear though :p

Yep for sure.  Every bit as interesting for me, and probably more insightful into his personality and quirks.  But, as you say, no gear shots so didn't know if many here would care
Cheers  :)

Back