gold simulation for microphone capsule render

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soliloqueen

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
Sorry, this is a bit of a dumping ground. I don't know anyone else who'd be interested in seeing this, so I figured I'd post it here. I was working on some CG beauty shots for a microphone capsule and I wasn't happy with any of the existing shaders for the gold trace on the diaphragm, so I built one:
gold sim 1.jpg
gold sim 2.jpg
gold sim 3.jpg
gold sim 4.jpg
gold sim 5.jpg

It's physical, based on the extinction coefficient but for refraction. Now to optimize it. Rendering time with the gold sim: 3m40s. Rendering time without the gold sim (everything else identical except the gold is opaque): 0m12s. Same noise level. That's a 20x increase. Yikes.

Last edited:
Pretty good renderings! If I'm allowed criticism at a high level I would say the out of focus blur is not good because the transition between foreground and background looks wrong. (Especially at the edge of the capsule). The white plastic shader can also be tweaked a bit, it looks a bit dull. Keep up the good work!👍

Last edited:
Pretty good renderings! If I'm allowed criticism at a high level I would say the out of focus blur is not good because the transition between foreground and background looks wrong. (Especially at the edge of the capsule). The white plastic shader can also be tweaked a bit, it looks a bit dull. Keep up the good word!👍
I went through a few different plastics, this white one's material isn't actually done (No dirt or SSS) Good eye!
Here's the previous material I was experimenting with before this one:
capsule blue.jpg

the blur, that's because i physically simulated a tilt shifted lens to keep all the holes in focus. the wrongness is the result of the lens plane not lining up with the image plane, it's like using tilt shift to make a big scene look miniature, but in reverse. I don't like using non physically based cameras, so I needed to figure out a way to do everything I needed without "cheating" and that's what i settled on

Last edited:
Back