Golden age comp 54

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandeurloo

White Market Member
Has anyone heard one of these or modded one?  I'm curious if they are any good and if they are good projects to mod.  I think I have a bunch of vintage transformers I could stick in them if they use the belclere transformers.

Dan, did you ever end up modding a comp 54? I've picked up a couple of them in the past few months and really like this unit. Even stock it sounds really good. Once I finish my current project which is a GSSL, (using one of your enclosures/faceplates), I plan to put the Carnhill input and out xformers. I think another easy upgrade would be to swap out the capacitors. The electrolytics look pretty cheap... Not sure how many of them are in the audiopath though. There are also several polyester and tantalums. I assume putting higher grade versions of these with the same value will likely enhance the fidelity as well.

Sisu MT said:
Dan, did you ever end up modding a comp 54? I've picked up a couple of them in the past few months and really like this unit. Even stock it sounds really good. Once I finish my current project which is a GSSL, (using one of your enclosures/faceplates), I plan to put the Carnhill input and out xformers. I think another easy upgrade would be to swap out the capacitors. The electrolytics look pretty cheap... Not sure how many of them are in the audiopath though. There are also several polyester and tantalums. I assume putting higher grade versions of these with the same value will likely enhance the fidelity as well.

I did, I use them a lot.  They sound great.  After modding the price ended up being crazy.  I replaced all caps and I used my Neve output transformers and a few Carnhill inputs I had laying around.

I use them on every mix.  It was worth it musically.  Not sure I could sell them for what I have in them but that is ok because I will use them forever. 

If you do it, replace all caps and the transformers.  The Transformers are total junk.  One fell apart in my hand when I was replacing it.

dandeurloo said:
I use them on every mix.  It was worth it musically.  Not sure I could sell them for what I have in them but that is ok because I will use them forever.

If you do it, replace all caps and the transformers.  The Transformers are total junk.  One fell apart in my hand when I was replacing it.

You love them now and that makes it worth it. Can't say I've had the same issue with the xformers...I swapped them between units when doing some troubleshooting. They were in good shape. Can't say that though for the release switch on one of the units. That unit stopped releasing and after taking the release switch apart, the wiper had broken loose...the switch overall is solid, but the little plastic nubs that hold the wiper are weak...total Achilles heel thing. Regarding the capacitors, did you stick with The polyesters we're throw in some polystyrenes? I see those were used in the original 2254.

I usually take pics of my mods so I can remember what I did.  I can't seem to find it now.  But I seem to remember replacing all caps. 

Yeah the hardware isn't great on them.  Funny, most of the companies would actually have a solid product if they would spend an extra 10-20 bucks on parts.  Drives me crazy.

Back