Golden Age Comp54 compression "sticking"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
I think the problem is something disconnected, so check where the release switch is connected; the capacitor is supposed to be connected directly to it. I believe an ohmmeter is your best friend there.
It's fixed!! Thank-you so much for your input. I truly appreciate you. So here's what happened. Since you said something may be disconnected, I got the idea that the release switch might be bad. Luckily, since I have two of these compressors, I was able to simply disconnect the faceplate from the working unit (which contains all the rotary switches) and plug it into the unit the wasn't working. And sure enough, it worked perfectly!! This told me the issue was on the faceplate PCB or the switch. So I started by removing and disassembling the release rotary switch. And there it was..the wiper had come loose keeping the release circuit open. I was able to reattach the wiper by drilling two tiny holes using micro drill bits and screwing it down with tiny screws I "borrowed" from on of my son's gadgets. Put it back together et voila! I'm very happy and proud to have fixed this. Couldn't have done it without out your generous guidance. Cheers from Austin, Pat

Attachments

• PXL_20210505_002828477.jpg
    PXL_20210505_002828477.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Thanks for this thread! Those switches seem to be the weakest link of the compressor, mine had all of them broken.
I had since replaced it with Alps Alpine ones. Here are manufacturer numbers in case someone else need replacement:
SRBV141404 - Rotary Switches Rotary Switches 4 Pos 0.3 Amp at 16 Volts
SRBV181004 - Rotary Switches Rotary Switches 8 Pos 0.3 Amp at 16 Volts
SRBV151102 - Rotary Switches Rotary Switches 5 Pos 0.3 Amp at 16 Volts

Thanks for this thread! Those switches seem to be the weakest link of the compressor, mine had all of them broken.
I had since replaced it with Alps Alpine ones. Here are manufacturer numbers in case someone else need replacement:
Thanks for adding!

The big question is where can you order these with a MOQ of less than 1k and less than 24 months EDT ...? ☺ ☻

The big question is where can you order these with a MOQ of less than 1k and less than 24 months EDT ...? ☺ ☻
In the States it looks like Mouser has at least one of them ready to ship in single qty's.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-061449.png
    Screenshot_20230306-061449.png
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230306-061444.png
    Screenshot_20230306-061444.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 0
Mouser Europe has all of them stocked for a moment...
SRBV151102 - In Stock: 165
SRBV181004 - In Stock: 203
SRBV141404 - In Stock: 321

Wow, I don't know the workings of a circuit like you guys but I am completely stumped that I have had two Comp 554 MKII that have the same exact two issues and hoping its user error but I don't think so; Maybe a bad batch or luck.
Both units work and sound great except the bypass button completely cuts audio from the whole chain instead of bypassing the unit...Also the makeup gain does nothing....This is with both units; One I returned and the current one.
Ive tested these in two different racks with the same result.
(Side Note) My Midas L10 turns the unit on but doesn't always work as if the connections aren't going into the rack all the way. This is a whole other issue but measuring the rack depth from connector to mounting face they are both exact but the GAP 554 looks to be shorter than others from face plate to end of terminals on back by almost 3mm. I may just return this and do with something else though I like all the options and sound on this one.

Are you looking to troubleshoot/repair this yourself? If so, one of the good people here can likely guide you. If not I'd suggest returning the GAP unit. I've had nothing but issues with their gear and they offer no support so you kind of have to be ready work on these. The Alctron CP540v2 is another 2254 style comp in the same price range and worth looking into.

It's fixed!! Thank-you so much for your input. I truly appreciate you. So here's what happened. Since you said something may be disconnected, I got the idea that the release switch might be bad. Luckily, since I have two of these compressors, I was able to simply disconnect the faceplate from the working unit (which contains all the rotary switches) and plug it into the unit the wasn't working. And sure enough, it worked perfectly!! This told me the issue was on the faceplate PCB or the switch. So I started by removing and disassembling the release rotary switch. And there it was..the wiper had come loose keeping the release circuit open. I was able to reattach the wiper by drilling two tiny holes using micro drill bits and screwing it down with tiny screws I "borrowed" from on of my son's gadgets. Put it back together et voila! I'm very happy and proud to have fixed this. Couldn't have done it without out your generous guidance. Cheers from Austin, Pat
I ran across one of these that had the exact same problem!

I’ll second the recommendation of the recent Alctron version over these.

Back