Grayhill rotary switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiox

I normally use Elma rotary switches, but maybe I should try Grayhill since they are much cheaper.

http://uk.farnell.com/grayhill/56sdp30-01-1-ajs/switch-1pole-12-pos/dp/1190385?Ntt=1190385

I know that Grayhill switches are widely used by forum members, so I would like to hear your comments before ordering. Is the "feel" of these switches similar to Elma 01 series? Is the quality comparable?

Look up the specs - the shown type has a life expectancy of 10K cycles at 250mA and 30K at very-low mA. I think Elma 04 does better than this (but look up for yourself). On the other hand, Grayhill is explosion- and mil-tested - nice for the violent engineer :)

Quality of Greyhill is top notch, as to the "feel" you can use tiny rubber grommets to "damp"
the feel of the pot, behind the "knob" up against the end of the pot shaft.
UA do this on their 1176 combo's and mic pre's to good effect, the pots turn with more resistance
and are a little more apt to stay where they are turned to, hence more "accurate"

MM.

MartyMart said:
Quality of Greyhill is top notch, as to the "feel" you can use tiny rubber grommets to "damp"
the feel of the pot, behind the "knob" up against the end of the pot shaft.

MM.
Like O-rings? Simple and ingenious, I'll have to try this.

I actually just ordered a couple of grayhills to put in place of the lorlins I usually use in my second channel. I am not going to replace the first channel yet as I really want to do a comparison. I looked at the model that you are looking at, but I can't seem to find it with a 1/4" shaft for under $30 a piece.

Here is the model I went with. Hopefully they are worth the cash.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=GH7102-ND

EDIT: I am not expecting these for at least a month due to an some other parts being backordered, so I won't be able to report on them for a long time.

Back