Greetings from NYC

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello GroupDIY,

Been a lurker for a while now and have finally decided to introduce myself, now take part in conversation, learn a bunch, and hopefully contribute something of value to your community.

Bit about who I am... I've always been fascinated with electronics, audio, and engineering in general, from diapers really. My parents realized this and fostered the passion very early. I built simple ciruits with Capsela before I could wipe my own butt. Then came Erector Set, Knex, and Legos. Anything in my house that had screws was openned up and investigated, broke a lot of things actually haha.

From age 8, I attended a summer program for 3 consectutive summers that had a very foundational EE course. Learned about basic components, how to solder, read schematics, and we built things such as LED flip flop circuits. I was in love with it. Took some piano lessons at those ages as well but for some reason it never really stuck with me. At age 17, I got into electronic music with DAW's and put a lot of energy into it until about the age of 22 when life and responsibilities began to catch up take that energy.

Dropped out of high school at age 16 and started going to work instead, with my father, as an electrician. First working residential, then commercial, and eventually got into one of my local unions doing more state and government projects at 24, industrial type of work.

I am now 32 and still do this. I work for contractors who mainly do projects for MTA (public transit company) in NYC. We do a bit of everything... mains power, signal work, control wiring, bit of fiber, regular branch circuitry, transformer installations, data, etc. Fun thing about transit work is there is something new to learn on every new contract.

Beginning of 2021, I got back into making music, and actually trying to learn to play keyboard. Sometime in the last 6 months I discovered this forum and the community of DIY pro audio and my passion for EE has been reignited! What a wonderful topic. I've since been playing with breadboard circuits and studying a lot about audio signal circuit design and such on my free time.

Well that's where i'm now.

I beleive when arriving to a "party", one shall bring a gift or some type of value. One thing I am an expert at is being an electrician, so other than being a supporting member I'd gladly like to offer advice of any kind in that field to anyone who needs it. In regards to electricity, the electrician trade is far away on the spectrum compared to small circuit design. So anyone, private message me at any time if there's something I could do, i'd love to help.

Well, hello everyone, see you in the threads! Thank you for reading :)

Welcome aboard! Having someone here who is fully qualified in the electrical trade is excellent for discussions relating to "AC mains" and "code".

As for myself, I've slung some Romex, and still have a mid 80's official NEC code book <g>.

While we're chatting on electrical topics.....what is your "take" on the new-ish Wago connectors vs. Ideal/3M wire nuts? I am somewhat impressed with the Wago's.

Bri

Welcome aboard! Having someone here who is fully qualified in the electrical trade is excellent for discussions relating to "AC mains" and "code".

As for myself, I've slung some Romex, and still have a mid 80's official NEC code book <g>.

While we're chatting on electrical topics.....what is your "take" on the new-ish Wago connectors vs. Ideal/3M wire nuts? I am somewhat impressed with the Wago's.

Bri
Hello Brian, thank you.

I don't think one is superior to the other, I belive they both have their place. The "Wago" type are good for smaller gauge wires, appliances and such, situations where you might need to service the wiring. If I recall correctly back when I did commercial work, they are actually required by NEC in lighting fixtures as a "quick disconnect".

I definitely would not use them in general branch circuitry where the wiring might be permament. A traditional wire nut on a properly twisted splice is mechanically stronger and more suitable for a junction box or a splice behind devices such as outlets or switches. Although a wire nut is a better "permanent" solution, it should be noted that most of the strength of the splice is from the wires being twisted correctly and the wire nut is more of a cap. Also, wire nuts work very well as a single use but can often fail if re-used. If you have more wire nuts and are re-splicing wires, i'd use a new one every time. Wire nuts should not be used to twist the wires together, rather the wires should be twisted together before hand, all at the same time, twisted until there are a few rotations on the insulation part, excess copper cut as the entire copper (or aluminum in some rare cases) should be covered by the wire nut, then capped with the wire nut.

The odd case where you'd not twist all the wires at the same time is for example if you have (3) #12awg solid wires, and (1) #14awg stranded. The way i'd approach that splice is strip the #12awg's longer than usual, twist those first, strip the #14awg long as well, twist the #14awg around the splice fitting it into the groove created between the #12awg solids, cut excess, then cap. The reason for stripping longer than usual is just so you have a litte more conductor to work with before cutting excess. It makes it a bit easier.

Welcome on board, Sol - and thanks for the detailed introduction; it's really helpful for interfacing (as you already saw from Bri's question above :) )

/Jakob E.
Exactly. A nice intro is really appreciated. Lately we've seen more than a few intros where the people just want to sell us something, or sell us their repair services.

My dad was a licensed electrical contractor and I worked for his company for more than a decade, so it's nice to have some more romex slingers here! :)

Welcome on board, Sol - and thanks for the detailed introduction; it's really helpful for interfacing (as you already saw from Bri's question above :) )

/Jakob E.
Thank you Jakob.

I'm a bit of a secret admirer haha, your content was part of what got me into the DIY realm. Great resources!
Exactly. A nice intro is really appreciated. Lately we've seen more than a few intros where the people just want to sell us something, or sell us their repair services.

My dad was a licensed electrical contractor and I worked for his company for more than a decade, so it's nice to have some more romex slingers here! :)
Hello Ricardus. Nice to know. Glad you made it out of electrical work.. and NY lol. I can't call myself a romex or bx slinger anymore, almost all of the contracts I'm on require any wire or cable to be ran in conduit, it is more fun though.
Hey there! Another NYC'r here in Queens. Welcome aboard.
What's up kbx! Thanks. Where at if you don't mind? I'm in Middle Village these days.

Thank you Jakob.

I'm a bit of a secret admirer haha, your content was part of what got me into the DIY realm. Great resources!

Hello Ricardus. Nice to know. Glad you made it out of electrical work.. and NY lol. I can't call myself a romex or bx slinger anymore, almost all of the contracts I'm on require any wire or cable to be ran in conduit, it is more fun though.

What's up kbx! Thanks. Where at if you don't mind? I'm in Middle Village these days.
Sunnyside!

Latest posts

Back