• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Group Buy: Quadrant Fader Add-on

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I am sure everyone is aware just how rare and expensive original Painton quadrant faders are so wouldn't it be nice if there was a modern alternative? Now there is a possibility of being able to convert most regular 100mm slider faders into quadrant operation with a neat add-on mechanical part. How cool is that? The development of this has been going on for some time but it needs a decent sized order to make it worth building an initial production batch, so the purpose of this thread is to gauge the level of interest this device for a group buy. I have mo idea yet of costs but it will obviously depend on the quantity. I am in for at least a dozen and I know that Wall (matriarch amplification) is in for about the same number. I hope to be able to provide more details later.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
interesting, i have trouble finding quality (not carbon) 100mm log or audio taper faders lately.
does this mechanism translate 1:1 the taper designed into the fader?
it would be interesting to be able to 'bend' the translation of a linear taper element.

there are some novel ways that rotary pots have been actuated with linear mechanisms.

does this mechanism translate 1:1 the taper designed into the fader?
Yes , pretty much although there are tiny differences due to the curved path of the knob (half way in the knobs travel is exactly half way on the fader)

It should suit most 100mm faders , it might need a custom clip design to suit the fader's knob fixing if very different from P+G or Alps

At least a dozen here (for starters) if that's helpful. The current pricing of 100/per is out of reach for me for the near future. This is totally on my end & for financial reasons. Regardless, thanks for doing this and my situation will change. These are well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
If you have an unusual knob ... on your fader !
send me a picture of the shaft (oh god this is getting worse!) with the knob removed (not with photoshop please ) and a rough measurement of the height above the panel and the maximum width of the fitting. I'll check if this will require a special 3d printed clip (relatively cheap)

This is where we are ATM:
We're back to top mounting , rather than screw the adapter down from under the fader plate , so that it is easier to adapt existing fader plates (just drill and tap a couple of new holes)

I'm not sure about the knob ; this is my homage to the Elma style knob which while suitable for finger tip operation (like a typical linear fader) is less well suited to finger and thump movements like traditional quadrant fader types.

Should I design a third style with rounded top and pointer ? (the knob is likely to be 3d printed or moulded in resin - any colour preferences?)

The fader scale is yet to be determined , should it be traditional (+10 to -40 dB) or ye olde linear (percent)?

Attachments

• QF8a.png
    QF8a.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back