• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Group Buy: Quadrant Fader Add-on

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where we are ATM:
We're back to top mounting , rather than screw the adapter down from under the fader plate , so that it is easier to adapt existing fader plates (just drill and tap a couple of new holes)

Does this means it is not possible to use the original fader mounting to mount the quadrant?
I'm not sure about the knob ; this is my homage to the Elma style knob which while suitable for finger tip operation (like a typical linear fader) is less well suited to finger and thump movements like traditional quadrant fader types.
My personal preference is the old Elma style - very reminiscent of the EMI consoles. Black would be my colour of choice but red as an alternative would be nice.
Should I design a third style with rounded top and pointer ? (the knob is likely to be 3d printed or moulded in resin - any colour preferences?)

The fader scale is yet to be determined , should it be traditional (+10 to -40 dB) or ye olde linear (percent)?
There are plenty of folk here with 3D printers so I guess there is a good chance of some volunteers to make different styles of knob.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,
We initially tried to use the fader screws but it restricted the motion of the slide, effectively removing a couple of dB from the fade at the top.

In the end we decided that it was important to use the full fader motion, so moved the mounting to about 5mm above and below the fader holes.

If it was a deal-breaker it might be possible to add a couple of brackets to the fader screws so everything is above the fader plate.

The 3d print needs to be a high resolution resin print to make a good job of it. My preference would be to use a resin printer to produce a 'plug' which could be finished to a high polish then used to make a silicon mould . I think this would give a professional finish to the fader.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi Ian,
We initially tried to use the fader screws but it restricted the motion of the slde effectively removing a couple of dB from the fade at the top.

In the end we decided that it was important to use the full fader motion so moved the mounting about 5mm above and below the fader holes.

If it was a deal-breaker it might be possible to add a couple of brackets to the fader screws so everything was above the fader plate.

Not a deal breaker, it would just have been incredibly convenient but a couple of extra holes is no problem.
The 3d print needs to be a high resolution resin print to make a good job of it. My preference would be to use a resin printer to produce a 'plug' which could be finished to a high polish then used to make a silicon mould . I think this would give a professional finish to the fader.

Bill
Sounds like a plan.

Cheers

Ian

The information below and the photos are from Danny White at Sound Techniques regarding Quadrant Faders. I am posting on Danny's behalf as he does not have a Group DIY account:

Danny says:
This is not a new idea. This approach to the quadrant fader was developed first by myself and Ian Gardiner at Tree Audio back in 2003. This was the first console, at my studio on Music Row in Nashville to employ that mech, installed in 2004. The original Painton Company, Ltd was purchased by my company, Palomar Electronics Group, we own the mark. We have already introduced this type of fader, at the time in coordination with Jim Dowler, in a production format and introduced at the NAMM show in Anaheim, California in 2018. Photo attached below of our friend and engineering great, Ken Scott mixing Elton John multitracks at that show. The new Painton faders are very clear to see. These are hand made, fully machined (you won't find any 3D printing in what we build) to the highest standards and with a completely new mech since the 2018 NAMM show and a patent officially in the works. Last photo of the console that Sound Techniques just installed at Electrosound Studios in Beverly Hills this past November, Painton's in the Groups. The ZR8 is an early prototype that's in Nashville. We make the real deal. Best to all. www.soundtechniques.com

Attachments

• Electrosound Group Faders.jpg
    Electrosound Group Faders.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 65
  • Ken Scott.jpg
    Ken Scott.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Music Row.jpg
    Music Row.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 63
  • ZR8 Sidecar.JPG
    ZR8 Sidecar.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 67
Meanwhile back in the real world...

It's looking like the adaptor will coming it at the £100 region , that's without any significant profit for our efforts. If this too much, please say and save us the greif of getting stock made or , just as difficult these days, quoted!

As previously stated, the design files will be available on my git-hub free for non-commercial use (i.e. if you want to get them made for your own desk , that's fine, but if you are planning to sell them, with or without desk, then a license will be required). I just have to remember how github works :)

I have an idea for an all 3d printed design , using an idea that we tried out on , or about , version 1.48 sometime in the last millennium. However, as you might have gathered, I'm thoroughly pissed-off with all of this , so don't hold your breath.

Bill

I’ll have to opt out as well, unfortunately. I think it’s amazing that you’re offering these and the price doesn’t seem unreasonable to me, but we’ve just had some emergency vet bills with our cat in the last couple of days and it’s put this out of reach for me for now.

I am willing to put a couple thousand dollars into the pot.

I had been discussing this with several people mentioned in the other more recent forum, but with my current projects with so much r&d in capacitors that nobody will want that occupy strange niches and things like liquidated materials to make what is usually a cost no object material accessible. Hahaha, I was doing a bunch of tests with Kovar and Alloy 42 and that was a failure… good old lead.

I am late to the party, but 5 of these (for stereo faders) would be great. I always planned to make a mini REDD.51 looking console, similar to a Neve 5060.

In 2014 or so, I was talking to someone (I believe his name was Mark) from ELMA who was working on quadrant faders but as others have said he since left and that fell through.

Looking forward to any news on the quadrant fader front. The idea to retrofit on existing faders is genius.

I am not sure what the current status is of this but I suspect we are short of a minimum viable quantity. Jim??

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back