Group Buy (See first post): DB25 Mod for GDIY511 Rack TASCAM Analog pinout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce0

TASCAM Cards are still available, some folks have not taken their allotted cards, so until they are gone they are available.

$7 each will cover the cost for the TASCAM cards.
If you are in the USA, $7.50 per card covers postage.
Postage is whatever actual postage is.

I will leave this open for 30 days or so.
Send your address, screen name, how many TASCAM Cards, and paypal payment to bxb at odellventures dot com

Interested posters:
Remember - 1 card = 8 channels in and out, 2 cards = 11 channels in and out
bruce0 - 3 cards
bruno2000 - 1 card (depending upon price)
cbarrett92 - 2 cards
delaymix - 4 cards
kramerb1 - 4 cards
piano - 1 card
Winetree - 8 cards (depending on price)
NoBass - 2 cards
kvothe - 4 to 8 cards
jandoste - 1 card
jordanazor - 4 cards

The story

Silent Arts lovely GDIY511 in early planning had D-Subminature 25 pin Tascam Format connectors.  Somehow these never appeared in the rack.  So I made these up for my own use. 

Cards mount using the D-Sub screws (hex jacks) to attach to panel.  Card floats between backplane and back panel.

DSUB Cutouts take some time with drill press and Dremel.  Cutting template in PDF is in the thread.  There are two, the second is a better choice but both work.

Here is the Back panel cutting template:
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47653.0;attach=24380

Here are Build instructions, somewhat daunting because there are so many different configurations and each requires a different cable length:
BUILD INSTRUCTIONS
Build Instructions, many different configurations and each requires a different cable length:
Full TASCAM instruction Medium Resolution 13MB.pdf

Attachments

• TASCAM instructions v4 preliminary.pdf
    375.7 KB · Views: 39
bruce0 said:
Silent Arts lovely GDIY511 in early planning had D-Subminature 25 pin Tascam Format connectors.  Somehow these never appeared in the rack.  So I made these up for my own use.  I just checked them out on the Rev 03 GDIY511 backplane and they work fine.  I have a Rev 02 rack, and plan on checking it out there, but I believe the pinout is the same (Volker?)
nice!
no, nothing changed on the 50pin connectors between rev01 to rev03

for this option I needed to upgrade my PCB software (100 more pins), and I spent a lot of time for this option.

I'm glad if somebody is using it now ;D

Well I would be happy to make a batch - Please let me know your interest level, and I can get a price for a production run.

ChuckD said:
I could use 3 of these pcbs asap!

Chuck

Ok Chuck, Bruno expressed interest too, but not sure if/how many he wants.

You sure 3 cards is correct? 

1 card per rack puts 2 DB25 connectors on the back for Slot 1-8 Input, and Slot 1-8 Output

2 cards per rack puts 4 DB25 connectors on the back for Slots 1-6 Input, Slots 1-6 Output, Slots 7-11 Input, and Slots 7-11 Output.

If we get some more interest it will be a lot better - hopefully some other folks with GDIY511 Racks will want to add this feature to their racks and reduce the costs.

DSC05871.jpg

* UPDATE * THIS IS THE OLD TEMPLATE FILE. IF YOU PLAN ON USING THE DAUGHTER CARDS (CASCADE or CHANNEL 11) use the new template file found later in the thread.

Attached is a template file I used to drill my back panel D-Sub slots.  I am sure it would be easier with a Dsub Punch, but the cheapest I found was 200 bucks on McMasters Carr.

Note:

This template is not verified (in particular the position of the XLR's etc, which are there for a positioning reference). so do some checking before using it.  I am also not sure that there is only one back panel design on the three runs of these racks.

(but I did check the bottom right pair of connectors for my installation, and it seemed right to me).

Attachments

• tascam template.pdf
    808.7 KB · Views: 55
I have decided to do another run of these, if anyone wants them, please post your interest here. Read the first post of this thread for details.

More details:

I have asked for pricing from the folks that made the first cards, and will let you know when I get that. 

If anyone has any ideas on the following, let me know:

1) I want to tell all the 51X rack owners that this card is available, so I only have to do 1 run.  I am doing this as a way of "giving back" to this great community, but I only want to give back once ;D

2) I would love to find someone with a Greelee DB25 punch to make back panel punching easy.  I did it with drill and dremel, and I posted a template below, it worked fine but took an hour. Maybe we could have a way to basically make a replacement backplane pre-punched.  I don't know about metal work, or what that might cost.

Any ideas appreciated.

bb

I am really looking forward to this.

I suppose I can mail out my back panel and have it D sub punched by RedCo... just an idea.

What is the center to center distance for punches?

Please count me in for two!

I was interested in the future expansion port when I built my rack.. I'm happy to see someone do something with it!

I used the template elsewhere in this thread.

I only punched the right hand pair (looking from the back) but I measured out all 4 connectors (for both cards).  So the right hand ones are tested and verified as correct, the left hand ones I think are correct (but have not actually punched and used those).

piano said:
I am really looking forward to this.

I suppose I can mail out my back panel and have it D sub punched by RedCo... just an idea.

What is the center to center distance for punches?

mulletchuck said:
maybe someone like DanDeurloo could offer a new rear panel for 51x racks that had the DB25 ports punched out already.

@mulletchuck should I put you down as interested, if so, 1 or two cards?

Celal did the original case, he would have the simplest setup (he has already layed out the back panel and would just need to add two punches.  if there is interest I can inquire on that.

But is not too hard to drill and cut them.  I just printed out the pdf template and glued it to the back with "3M photo mount spray" and then drilled and dremeled "coloring inside the lines".  Peeled it off and alcohol to remove any glue that stuck.  Worked fine.  Probably most shops that do cases would have a greelee punch for the DB25

Latest posts

Back