GSSL CRC Board from Expat Audio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soeren_DK

Hi everyone.
Anyone tried this board in the GSSL?
CRC-Close.jpg

http://www.expataudio.com/expatshop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=5

I can see that its out of stock so I thought of making it my self. Is there some drawings of the PCB around here?

Cheers
Soren

...We do actually have a few in stock, I only posted the video on youtube last night... (boy, that didn't take long to get noticed!!!) but there are a few from our initial run whic we had built for us to test and measure etc.

I personally measured a 17dB improvement in noise-floor from a GSSL which used an off-board toroid, basically EXACTLY the same as the one in the video, but with a bridge rectifier on the main board also.

I planned to make one with some 'quick-change'  connectors on it, so I could post a video of the difference in ripple noise with and without the CRC (by unplugging it and bypassing), but I just haven't had time yet.

I'd personally rather that you bought one rather than 'rolling your own', ;) but whatever works I suppose.

There's also the VU meter driver board and -of course- the Turbos. We've also got a few other nice ideas coming out soon for other products like the LA-2a, but I'll keep everyone guessing for now.  ;D

Youtube video links:

VU Driver Board

CRC Board

Keith

yes if there is a few stock it's better to bought it cause of the rectifier a few dificult to be wired on the veroboard,

With the crc , all the full gain you can't lsitening nothing about noise, very nice for gssl even other projects.

SSLtech said:
...We do actually have a few in stock, I only posted the video on youtube last night... (boy, that didn't take long to get noticed!!!) but there are a few from our initial run whic we had built for us to test and measure etc.

I personally measured a 17dB improvement in noise-floor from a GSSL which used an off-board toroid, basically EXACTLY the same as the one in the video, but with a bridge rectifier on the main board also.

I planned to make one with some 'quick-change'  connectors on it, so I could post a video of the difference in ripple noise with and without the CRC (by unplugging it and bypassing), but I just haven't had time yet.

I'd personally rather that you bought one rather than 'rolling your own', ;) but whatever works I suppose.

There's also the VU meter driver board and -of course- the Turbos. We've also got a few other nice ideas coming out soon for other products like the LA-2a, but I'll keep everyone guessing for now.  ;D

Youtube video links:

VU Driver Board

CRC Board

Keith
Keith, I have written you an email..

Cheers
Soren

I think that overall, the look of a lacquered, solder-masked board makes the whole thing a little more 'presentable'.

PM Rochey with any queries regarding the boards, since they'll be over in texas. I only have one here in Florida, and it's here in my 'test-mule'.

I'm also still working on a couple of other retro-fittable boards for the GSSL... I still think that it's a project which is very fertile in terms of 'improvability'.

Keith

SSLtech said:
I think that overall, the look of a lacquered, solder-masked board makes the whole thing a little more 'presentable'.

PM Rochey with any queries regarding the boards, since they'll be over in texas. I only have one here in Florida, and it's here in my 'test-mule'.

I'm also still working on a couple of other retro-fittable boards for the GSSL... I still think that it's a project which is very fertile in terms of 'improvability'.

Keith

ugh, I hope not too many, with dual sidechain filter boards, turbo board, main board, and my extra rectifier/filter board, I don't have any more room for any add ons!!!

Hey Keith,

Great stuff.  I can't wait to add both of these to my ever near completed GSSL.

Quick question... is it fine to hang a meter across the outputs or would it be best to use some sort of buffer first?  I know Joe Malone has a buffer circuit (that he borrowed from someone else) that reportedly reduces THD in normal meters but it also allows cheap DC meters to be used.  Is something like that best?

What do you think?

CC

You can do that if you like... but there's little reason to, if you mainly use it for GR. There's no more distortion than there is in an LA-2a, 1172, LA4, or any similar compressor.

Nobody ever really complained or objected although you can add a buffer if you wish... however, when you're in GR mode most of the time, with only occasional level-checking, there's probably no reason to.

Keith

perhaps it would be a good idea to start a new master
gssl mods thread
I'm in the gathering stage for one and would
include your recomendations

Even though I can't hear any problems with my gssl whatsoever, I'm very curious about the difference the CRC board would make. It's not expensive at all, so why not??  :)
When will they be available??

Anyone thought of making a layout that includes all this stuff into a single board (original gssl / turbo / CRC / VU)? Maybe it's time to correct some errata that have been there for some time, too, and mark correct resistor values for THAT VCA's? This would save a lot of drilling, spacing and screwing pcb's, wiring pcb connectors and the terrible headache of figuring out for the first time what to change when using THAT 2180/2181.

the problem is to make just one board with all cause:

someone don't want to use turbo ,
other use the two mode
other use with Super sidechain
etc...

like this could choise your option like car with GPS or without climatisation 2 or 3 door.

Sure seems severely overdue for a re-design incorporating all the 'improvements'. 

stereokillah said:
the problem is to make just one board with all cause:

someone don't want to use turbo ,
other use the two mode
other use with Super sidechain
etc...

like this could choise your option like car with GPS or without climatisation 2 or 3 door.

as for the "two-mode":
the new layout would already be switchable and if someone needs only the turbo board, (s)he should omit the switch and put a wire instead. done!

most people want the turbo and most people have hum problems, so the turbo and the CRC should be included one way or another.
Then again, if someone doesn't want turbo, he can ditch the new "GSSLAKE" (Ass-Kickin-Edition)  ;D ;D and go with the old, "modular" design.

The only shortcoming I can think of right now is that the pcb would grow in size beyond the conventional photoresist-pcb-compatible eurocard pcb size.

PS: I just had an idea while surfing expataudio.com. Has anyone tried using these sweet "3-pushbutton switches which control relays via microcontroller" pcbs to control turbo on/off  and  bypass?? (should be more tricky because it's not spst switch)

I bet THAT would be really cool looking

I want to veroboard one but I want to keep the bridge rectifier already in the gssl psu (I have all the parts except the rectifier and I don't care enought to order one anytime soon), so I came up with this (see attachment)
I'm pretty sure it is wrong, because if it was that simple, why would keith includ a bridge in the CRC board and not use the one in the psu??  :p

(sigh)

You simply must not do this... It will explode.

The whole problem is about bringing AC into the GSSL board... then 'pumping' modulated DC current at 120Hz through the traces.

Therefore the ONLY solution is to move the rectification OFF board, and ONLY bring smooth DC into the GSSL.

Just build it properly.

Trust me.

Keith

Back