GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy shit, those power switches are expensive! WTF!!! Oh well, they look pretty cool! The round one kind of reminds me of the Presonus MP20 power button...at least that's what the picture from the manufacturer looked like to me...

Ok, so now I'm to the semiconductor portion of the list. I can't seem to find just a plain NE5532 on Mouser or Digikey. Anyone have any recommendations here? This is my first time ordering opamps, so it's a sea out there. I see tons of ne5532 designations, but all are followed by a letter, such as D or something. I guess I'm having the same problem with the TL072, TL074, and NE5534-AN as well. I'm not understanding all of the suffixes after the main number (like TL072ID). What does the ID mean?

Lastly, (I hope) for the W04 Rectifier, will this part work:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=237465&e_categoryid=236&e_pcodeid=62504

I know I promised that was the end...but then I got to the regulators. Can anyone steer me in the right direction here? I was on Digikey, and it looks like there's several possible candidates for the job, so that scares me. Does anyone have their parts lists available that ordered in the states? I promise when I'm done, I'll put a website for this, and include part numbers and everything in return for the favors, so in the future we can direct people to that site for help with the parts...

Thanks again VERY MUCH!!!

I think that's a great idea. Take the parts list and add the part# and source (Digikey, Mouser, etc.) to the list as well as price. That's what Tim Ryan's lists are like on SCA. If anybody is game, I've got the webspace to host it...

So is the Meta thread just the holding place for information gathered in working threads like this one?

I was going to ask about the SSL in the Meta thread but since this one looks like it's floating on top I'll post here.

Anyway, so down the road I'll want to build a high end compressor. I know the reputation of the LA2A, the 1176 and the Fairchildren, I also know about the SSL mega consoles, but is the SSL really a classic like these others? What make it special, gives it it's reputation, and why would I choose it to build over say a 1176? My main uses for a compressor will be for 3 mic tecnique for drums and stereo bus mix down. Is it a side chained 2 compressor for stereo mixdown or mono?

Thanks,
Kelley

If you use a standard face DCmeter like the one above rather than the edge type, you just got to be aware of one thing.

I chose not to use a edge meter and got a DC Sifam type, because I wanted to add my own scale, you can remove the backing on the Sifam meters and stick on your own scale or whatever. Anyway, in a 1U box you actually have to cut a slot out of the bottom of the rack case to make it fit. Helps here if your rack enclosure is made of aluminium!! Its not a big deal, cut the slot out so the bottom of the meter runs flush with the rest of the casing. It JUST fits, but looks good. Then you can just run a bit of tape across the bottom of the meter.

Just to let people not to panic like I did when you get around to sizing it up and thinking its not going to fit. :0)

The Sifam meter I used is of the Presenter series I think. Chris mentioned this one above. A good meter you just got to get crafty to make it fit as I said. :0)

Hey Plexibreath...Heres a good read about the various different kinds of compressors

http://www.tangible-technology.com/dynamics/comp_lim_ec_dh_pw2.html

You really just have to hang around in the right places to truly develop an understanding of a specific piece of gear like this. Theres too much history to try and fill you in about everything.

Tip:
Look at the name of the studio where albums you like have been mixed. Find out what kind of console the albums were mixed on there. Find out more about the consoles and how people use them.

try gearslutz.com...its more suited for that type of discussion.

[quote author="Plexibreath"]So is the Meta thread just the holding place for information gathered in working threads like this one?

I was going to ask about the SSL in the Meta thread but since this one looks like it's floating on top I'll post here.

Anyway, so down the road I'll want to build a high end compressor. I know the reputation of the LA2A, the 1176 and the Fairchildren, I also know about the SSL mega consoles, but is the SSL really a classic like these others? What make it special, gives it it's reputation, and why would I choose it to build over say a 1176? My main uses for a compressor will be for 3 mic tecnique for drums and stereo bus mix down. Is it a side chained 2 compressor for stereo mixdown or mono?

Thanks,
Kelley[/quote]

You're right, I think we went meta to split this stuff up a little better... I'm going to start a new post specific to US people looking for parts. I think once the post gets to a certain length, people no longer read it.

I just powered up my clone (keep in mind I didn't connect the I/O, VU, or Control PCB). The secondary on my power transformer is reading 35 VAC. My rails are:

+14.84 VDC
-15.04 VDC

+12.32 VDC
-12.04 VDC

Should the +14.84 be of any concern? Thanks,

OK fellas, I'm still tryin to wrap my clone up. After fixing loads of solder bridges and broken traces (my worst etch ever) I've got it down to one last problem. Bypass works fine. When switched in the meter reads that compression is happening all the time even with no input. In fact the meter goes up as you increase the threshold (a clue, I hope) with no signal. It is compressing, too much, and the controls all work but even running in -10 and low ratio and high threshold it slams. I've lifted all the resistors in the SC to check values and they are correct. I'm sure it's another solder bridge or something but if I look at it one more time I'm going to go blind. I need a way to eliminate the working stuff so I can trace to the problem. Two things are throwing me for a loop. Since it's feedback style compression just tracing back doesn't help since the problem could still be at the other end of the chain. I'm also a novice when tracing DC. AC signal is one thing but you can't put DC on a scope. I know this is sort of a long winded post but please help.

cheers,
kent

Greg: you rails seem fine to me. i would connect the control PCB and see if that works aswell.

PG: that 17.5V, where is that measured? regulated or from transformer...
if that's regulated it's something to worry about

Remco

From reading the PCB PDFs, it seems there are two options to defeat the makeup gain in bypass. One is to put that jumper on the Control PCB, and the other is to wire to two points to another pole that contacts when the bypass is out.

Is this correct?

I'm asking because I only have the jumper on the Control PCB, and am curious to know if I understand this correctly.

If you have the jumper on the control panel, you have constant makeup-gain. If you wire in a part of the bypass switch, you'll only have makeup gain when the compressor is "in".

Jakob E.

So your showing appx 17VAC on the secondaries and 17VDC after the regulators? Possibly check the polarity again on your bridge rectifier? Or maybe your caps? Just guessing though.

OK, I'll make another attempt for some help but I feel a bit neglected lately :sad:

My meter reads as if I'm getting gain reduction which increases as I turn up (or down as it were) the threshold even with no input signal. With signal it behaves the same way - as if the control voltage is going bonkers - but it IS compressing. With the threshold maxed (or perhaps I should say minimum - should be no gain reduction) I'm getting what sounds like more than 10db GR and the meters reflect this.

I have lifted all the resistors around the TL072 and checked traces (many times) and it all checks out. Since the sidechain is FB I'm having a bitch of a time tracing to the root of the problem.

If anyone has any ideas before I chuck this thing please help.

cheers,
kent

Back