GSSL power trafo: how warm does yours get?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

my torroid stays completely cold to the touch, however when I hook up one tiny 6V 25mA bulb the trafo starts to get fairly warm to the touch. I offloaded the regulation duties to a 6v reg(isolated and grounded at the star of course!).

I guess i just want to know how warm yours are getting?

and for those of you about to ask:
Talema/amveco 62053 15VA 1 A/2x15v

:guinness:

From another post I made this remark but no one answered.....
RE: SSL parts list.

I have a concern with the Power supply transformer choosen.

The one on Greg's list is TE62063-ND 115VAC : 18VDC

My concern is the operating temperature. I used the TE2062-ND in my Pultec design and seems to run very hot. Fry your breakfast hot!

Is this a concern? Right now I only turn on the Pultec when I want to use it and I am concerned that I cannot put it into my rack unless I install a fan in the chassis.

Any comments or suggested alternatives?

Thanks

-ChuckD

If you can hold your hand on it, then it should not be a problem.
Anything hotter I don't like. Core steel is cheap. Get enough to run cold, thats my opinion.
If you can smell the slightest bit of enamel from the wire, thats too hot and you will eventually have a Bar B Que, especially if your fuse is too big.
This could be dangerous and set off smoke alarms when you are not home. (sometimes we leave stuff on by accident!)
If you want that warm fuzzy feeling, get some bigger iron. You will sleep better!

In the Pultec design I put my LED light directly across (in parallel) with the 4500/25 Cap. So I don't think in my case it had anything to do with the light or Lamp etc..

Can you guys list which Transformers you are using?

Thanks,

-ChuckD

By putting an LED directly across the voltage like that, I'm not surprised your transformer got hot! An LED is just a diode, there is nothing in there that will limit the amount of current, right?? Say an LED needs 25mA to work properly. The LED will only drop around 0.7V.

Say for example your transformer is putting out 25V. Therefore you need to drop the rest of the voltage (25-0.7 = 24.3V) across something, or else your transformer is close to shorting. Thats why we need the current limiting resistor to drop the 24.3V across. If you want 25mA, and you have 24.3V, Ohms law tells us that we need a 972 ohm resistor. 1k would work fine.

I'm still learning this stuff as well, if I made any mistakes PLEASE let me know!!

Ian

Oh yeah

No you're right there. I forgot to mention I had attached a 1K resistor to my LED as well. I always do the same thing and attach a resistor to the LED leads and put tape over it. I often forget it is in there.

But good catch!
Still not why mine is hot though, I think...

-ChuckD

Do you have a ammeter that you can put in series with the power supply, in order to see how much power you are drawing from the transformer?

Ian

EDIT: Chuck, I tried looking up the transformer you are using in your Pultec and the part number gives me and inductor! Is the number wrong? Oh yeah, what voltage is your pultec running at?

How is the transformer mounted?

Your typical LED wil drop more like 1.5 to 1.7 volts, but your calculations are correct.
Note that the 1 k resistor will dissipate .025 times 24 equals .6 watts so use a two watter.
Always use at least twixce the pwr rating you need for resistors.

ok here's the skinny... someone was fooling around in my box of goodies and misplaced a 250mA lamp in my package of 25mA. changed out, all better. runs cold now but wasn't HOT just a little warm.

thanks guys/girls!

opps the part number is TE62062-ND. I forgot the first 6.

I don't have the unit with me as it has been kidnapped by my producer working on my album. He's using it on everything.

when I get it back I'll have to put a meter on it and find out the current drop.

-Chuck

that's a 25VA 2x12@2A or 24@1A output you listed ChuckD. I assume since you mentioned it's running very hot that you are pulling amps near the limit of the trafo. maybe bump it up to 35 or 50 VA?

I guess it won't hurt to go big and find out.
I thought 25VA was plenty but I'll give it a try.

Mostly I wanted to warn everyone since I know many folks are starting this project right now.

I will post results ASAP.

Thanks !

-ChuckD

Latest posts

Back