Gssl with Super Side Chain and Turbo Board Connections

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioman

Hi All,
Anyone can explain as to proceed to the connection of super side chain board and one I upset board on a gssl ?
Because i see on this topic that i need two super sidechain board for making the right work !!
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47.2920
Please clarify this
Thank you all
Fabio

I make a mistake on writing ......
That is correct !!!
Sorry

Hi All,
Anyone can explain as to proceed to the connection of super side chain board and one Turbo board on a gssl ?
Because i see on this topic that i need two super sidechain board for making the right work !!
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47.2920
Please clarify this
Thank you all
Fabio

I can't speak for the turbo board but the super sidechain is awesome. I use my GSSL all the time now. If I was going to do A turbo one I would just build another GSSL. But I am very satisfied with my sidechain one and wouldn't want to change it. The people who developed that (And you know who you are ;)) are to be commended on a job well done is all I can say.

Not to say I won't build a turbo one also in the future. Just that the sidechain mod made my GSSL from sometimes useful to used all the time! And the external sidechain input works great for when ya need it.

I would build 2. One with each.

John

hi fabio
i must make a second SC board.
More info here
http://www.expataudio.com/diy/Turbo/TurboInstallationManual.pdf

i must to finish my board before wiring...

fabio,
you might want to investigate the need for a SSC board on your GSSL if you will be using Keith's Turbo Mod.  the sidechain filters were developed as a way to make the GSSL still useful with certain low freq. content.  from what i've read, with the the turbo mod the same problematic low freq. content is no longer a problem, so there might not be a need for the SSC (unless you really want peter's/clintrubber's thrust circuit).

i have not done the turbo mod to my GSSL yet so please read keith's posts about his turbo mod as he does mention in a post that the sidechain filter is not really necessary with his mod (but if you really do want the SSC you will need two SSC pcbs with the turbo pcb).
regards,
grant

For Creal,
When you have wiring all can you make a skema of connection ???

For Dissonantstring,
Can you please send me the link of Keith post that explain this ???

Beside this my big problem is :
if i decide to make my gssl with turbo board an super sidechain filter the wiring skematics at the time was a problem because nobody explain how to wire correctly all this stuff together

Ciao
Fabio

hi fabio,
i stand corrected.  it wasn't actually a post in a thread that i remembered keith's mention of the necessity (or rather lack of) for the SC pcb, but rather in the manual (which you should really read in full prior to installing your turbo pcb).
here is a quote from the manual (hope this is o.k. with keith):

Installation with ‘High-pass’ Sidechain boards: (optional)
There have been a couple of lof-frequency rolloff boards designed for the GSSL as attempts to ‘fix’ the GSSL’s tendency to over-compress loud, centre-panned
instruments. These can still be used with the Turbo, however you’ll need TWO
channels of high-pass filter board. Also, a dual-gang switch should be used, so that the rolloff selector switch now controls BOTH channels simultaneously.

–It’s worth considering however, that the need to use a low-rolloff may be quite
considerably reduced once the turbo board is fitted, since the original design’s dualsidechain circuit (which was omitted from the GSSL version) is considerably less sensitive to being influenced by the typical centre-image ‘problem’ sources, such as kick drum, bass, and loud solo instruments.

if you want all the bells and whistles, then by all means use the SC or SSC pcbs that are available, but you will need two to work with the turbo mod.
regards,
grant

Hi Grant,
Today i have order the second SSC board for making the work with turbo.
I read carefully the manual of the turbo board and i hope is all clear when i make the wiring work !!!
I think the Sidechain option is quite fantastic if you use the compressor for mastering application .
This is my modest opinion
Best Regards
Fabio

Hi Dagoose,
Fantastic work many compliments !!! at the end is it possible to make it !!!
Now the only problem is correct connection of the boards ....nobody explain how to make it !!
Can you tell me about the sound of the turbo with and without sidechain board ??
Many compliments again !!
Fabio

Latest posts

Back