Guitar amp idea

Help Support GroupDIY:

Naterbater

Thanks for your response. I don't have a large assortment of higher voltage caps or high wattage resistors on hand. They're on the way, but I wanted to start experimenting with what I had laying around and those were it.

The meter I was using for the measurements is a fluke 117 true rms meter.

If it wasn't already obvious, I will state that this is my first foray into trying to design a circuit. I have built many paint by number kits and they're great. I just thought it would be (it will be) a fun way to learn more about how things work.

abbey road d enfer

The meter I was using for the measurements is a fluke 117 true rms meter.
Interesting! I'll check how it fits.
If it wasn't already obvious, I will state that this is my first foray into trying to design a circuit. I have built many paint by number kits and they're great. I just thought it would be (it will be) a fun way to learn more about how things work.
Nothing wrong with that. We're happy to help.

Tubetec

Simple cap smoothing after the rectifier will still be very noisey in a single ended amp as you dont get the benefit of hum cancelation in the op transformer like in push pull , adding a choke after the first filter cap , then another cap then resistance of a few hundred ohms followed by another cap would make things much quieter.

Naterbater

My plan was to do something similar to an epiphone valve junior power supply with a few caps to ground and resistors in between them. If I find that it is too noisy I can add a choke later
0.1uF is not enough to smooth the rectified voltage. The 10k resistor draws about 15mA. You need at least 10uF for decent smoothing.
Will I see less DC voltage drop with the appropriately sized cap(s)?

abbey road d enfer

My plan was to do something similar to an epiphone valve junior power supply with a few caps to ground and resistors in between them. If I find that it is too noisy I can add a choke later
It is absolutely doable.
In the 60's, a typical record player had no choke. Some had just one cap (32-50uF) to smooth the B+.
The VOX AC4 had two 32uF caps with a 470r resistor between them.
Will I see less DC voltage drop with the appropriately sized cap(s)?
Yes.

Latest posts