Guitar Cab / Combo Dimensions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kid Squid

Hiya Chaps,

Just wondering, have any of you chaps got any guitar cab / combo woodwork dimensions.
I got a small 15w Single ended KT66 amp, that i've nearly finished, and I got a mate, who is a cabinet maker , has offered to build me a cab for the amp, if i get him some plans.
He has no experience in guitar amp stuff, he just makes good furniture !!!

Best Regards,
Steve :thumb:

www.ampwares.com/ffg

The fender field guide, they list the dimensions of all those fender amps. Good place to start.

adam

[quote author="Kid Squid"]a small 15w Single ended KT66 amp[/quote]

Circuit???
:grin:

Re the cab, make it stronger and stiffer than it needs to be and chances are itll sound good.

M@

I finished twin amps this summer. They are both 1-12". One is an 18watt plexi circuit (The Randall Aiken's circuit) and the other is a Vox Cambridge Reverb circuit (which is very much like the Fender Deluxe Reverb circuit minus the neg. feedback).

I used 3/4" voidless English Birch for most of the construction. The corners are finger joints, and the baffles are floating with 1/2" English birch ply.

You would think plywood would be lighter, but being void free makes it quite heavy.

Anyway, I got a lot of my info over at Ted Weber's site. There are bulletin boards for all aspects of the amp building.

www.webervst.com

Happy amp building!

I used to think big..... now I reckon small is better. Lighter, plus you use a small speaker like an 8" which is nice for recording....etc .....I've got a small Yamaha Budokan box around here which I think would would perfect...... but if you've built a chassis already it probably won't suit. Anyway.... let me know if you want me to measure it up. It looks about the same as a Champ.

Any of you guys ever heard or heard of the Octal Fatness?

A guy brought in this little DIY amp to a local open mic and I was blown away by the tone of this amp. So I asked him a bunch of questions and he says it's his slightly modified octal fatness. The name is really fitting. lol.

Here's an example
http://home.cfl.rr.com/dbhammond/OF.html

Steve
Have a look at ampmaker site - aka loverocker from the SOS forums (known is real life as Barry)
I buy these tag boards of him - for my Pultecs
http://www.ampmaker.com/tb03x.asp

Anyway have a look around his site

Top Stuff Fellas :thumb:

UK, got any pics of your Pultecs, would love to 'ave a look Old Bean. Thinking of doing Cayacostas EQP-1a layout. Is this what you used ?

Mattmoogus,

Drawing is in work, I'll post it when i go back on sunday. The drawing is a torres super boxer KT66, pretty simple little thing, can't wait to hear it tho.

Laterz Chaps,

I've heard of the Octal Fatness over at the AX84 site

www.ax84.com

I think it is a single ended amp with a Marshall type tone stack: 4 preamp stages. It is basically a modified High Octane amp, which is one of the projects on that site.

[quote author="Kid Squid"]Mattmoogus,

Drawing is in work, I'll post it when i go back on sunday. The drawing is a torres super boxer KT66, pretty simple little thing, can't wait to hear it tho.
[/quote]

Wicked! Youll have to post some sounds too.

M@

[quote author="Arrigotti"]I finished twin amps this summer. They are both 1-12". One is an 18watt plexi circuit (The Randall Aiken's circuit)
I used 3/4" voidless English Birch for most of the construction. The corners are finger joints, and the baffles are floating with 1/2" English birch ply.

You would think plywood would be lighter, but being void free makes it quite heavy.
[/quote]
It's actually the glue that makes plywood heavy.

I assume that Aiken circuit is the November?
Do you like it?

-Eric

Thick plywood, complex form with non-parallel surfaces, filling by dumping matherials, is essential to hi-fi speakers, as well as PA speakers and studio monitors, where sound colorations are not desirable at all. Guitar cabinets are the different story, where resonances of volume and surfaces may be tuned on certain resonant frequencies so they will distort the sound the way it sounds desirable. This is the secret of guitar cabinets.

Hi Steve,
Like Wavebourn said, I think that applying hi-fi enclosure theory to a guitar cab design is not a good idea.
I've built lots of guitar cabs. My first ones were baltic birch plywood, internal bracing.....super stiff....I tried to reduce standing waves as much as possible.
They sounded like shit :green:
The way I see it, a guitar cab is not reproducing a sound. It is creating a sound. I see the cab as an extention of the instrument. Lately I've been into building small cabs with either a single 10" or 12" loudspeaker. I like a thin, flexible baffle no thicker than 3/8" plywood for small cabs.
Also, consider making the box from solid softwood, not plywood....solid wood will resonate much more than plywood.
3/4" pine works pretty well.
My 2 cents anyway :sam:
Freddy

Eric H said:
[quote author="Arrigotti"]
I assume that Aiken circuit is the November?
Do you like it?

-Eric

Yes, I really like the November. I recorded tons of tracks with it for my latest recording endeavor. You can crank that badboy up and get some awesome powertube overdrive. It also sounds great with pedals in front of it.

I just finished putting my very first amp I ever built into a 1-10" combo. I recycled an old pine table that I'd built to build the main structure using finger joint (aka box joints) and used a 1/2 inch plywood baffle. I sounds great. I tolexed it in a two tone cream/green. I wish I could post some pics, because it looks great.

Also, I agree with the whole cabinet resonance notion. The first cab I built was out of poplar. That thing sounds awesome, and has the tightest biggest bass sound. It sounds like a mini-Marshall stack using only 1-12" speaker.

Thanks for the help Chaps, it's given me a bit to think over :thumb:

Mattmoogus -been tring to upload pic of the schematic, but it's not having any of it at the mo :sad:
i'll try again after.

'ere we go Matt,

normal_IMG_2549.JPG

supersize one is here:
http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=12

Wicked, thanks!

I think im going to have to build one. :grin:

Are you using a KT66? If so what brand and what did you pay for it? What output transformer are you using?

Dont forget to post some sounds if you get a chance.

matt,

got the KT66's from a guy off the forum from Mauritius !
I went there on my Honeymoon, and traded some bits n pieces :grin:

dont know what makes they are, but sez on them - made in england

haven't got my O/P tranny yet tho, need a SE15 watt,that can handle a KT66. any suggestions?

15Watt,
primary impedance - between 3K & 5K
O/P impedance - 4, 8, 16 ohms

best i can get my hands on - preferably :grin:

What value should the choke be ?, i got a couple of 2mH drake chokes, don't think they are going to be big enough ?

A question on that schematic. Where the high gain stage goes into the normal gain stage (after the 33ok resistor), is it going thru a pot? Just curious why there's a lil' arrow there?

:guinness:

Back