Guitar player in the control room solutions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally on Alembic (wrt Stanley Clarke) but also common on many others - WAL / Jaydee / Pangbourne.
And my Hohner B2A has one although it carries an unbalanced signal (which can either be direct Hi-Z pickups or from the onboard preamp).
Bass player myself. I've played a Wal and Alembic before so I'm aware. (didn't own them just some studio situation)
I was making a joke at the expense of hippie sandwich bass owners and Stanley Clarke.

While there are basses with XLR jacks, most of them are just using it as a more secure 'professional' looking jack. Alembic uses the 5 pin XLR to power the bass preamp (there is that word again) and get the signal out of the instrument.
AFAIK most of them are mic level and impedance. Though I'm sure there are a couple which are instrument level/impedance.
It would be super cool if they had some that just made the jump all the way to line level. God that would be cool. Just plug straight into a powered cab for practice. But you better bring a pad for live gigs. Most PAs I've used have lots of line outs to stage and lots of mic ins to the FOH.

As an aside, a bunch of jerks were putting XLRs on bass cabs back in the 70's So anything goes for the old Cannon connector. Whose idea was it to use a microphone connector for speakers? There have to be some entertaining stories about 300 watts of tube fury trying to drive a microphone preamp's input load unsuccessfully.

As an aside, a bunch of jerks were putting XLRs on bass cabs back in the 70's So anything goes for the old Cannon connector. Whose idea was it to use a microphone connector for speakers? There have to be some entertaining stories about 300 watts of tube fury trying to drive a microphone preamp's input load unsuccessfully.

Horrible idea that's for sure.
But having TS Jacks on guitar speaker cabs and the speaker out of amps is also awful.
Most musicians don't get that you need speaker cable, they will just connect it with regular guitar cable because the connector is a JACK

Can I suggest a White Source Follower in control room (Fet version of WCF) to amp in studio, Luckily Doug mentioned about cables. Which I agree with. Simple, less in signal path.

Last edited:
Back