Guitar signal Test box for pedals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FictitiousFreedom

I couldn't find any past posts with the info i'm looking for, i actually cant find any info anywhwere because of how hard it is to word properly and how specific this is.

I make guitar pedals and have dabbled in pro audio diy so i have some experience but have very limited knowledge when it comes to EE and design. I normally would just continue to buy parts and try to figure everything out on my own but i figured it was worth it to ask instead.

What i want to create should be somewhat simple. I have a breadboard hooked up to a power supply, with a terminal block, 1/4 jacks, and various switches and pots so that when i finish a pedal i can quickly test it by running a previously recorded DI through a reamp box to test the circuit. I want to add a way to just press a button and automatically have a DI play through a small set of speakers. My reason for this is so that i don't have to open my DAW, turn on my amp, and use my patch bay every time i test.

I was thinking of using either a teensy or arduino with a memory card, A small set of speakers, and a simple reamp box all built into an enclosure. I'm pretty sure i could figure this out but before i try i assume that something about this idea is flawed. Maybe there is an easier way to do it without the reamp or even the micro controller but i really am not too sure. I also assume i would need something to drive the speakers but know there is some kind of shield for that.

Thanks, this forum has given me an amazing amount of information over the years and i am very grateful for you guys.

FictitiousFreedom said:
I was thinking of using either a teensy or arduino with a memory card, A small set of speakers, and a simple reamp box all built into an enclosure.
Why do you want speakers? Doesn't make sense.
You want to simulate the signal coming from a magnetic pickup, not from a microphone, don't you?
What you need is an mp3 player (the output signal is adequate) and a pickup impedance simulator.
This can be made using a humbucker pickup from which you remove the magnet.
You can choose to let the two coils in series, or use just one to simulate a single coil pu.

Attachments

• pu simulator.jpg
    pu simulator.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 51
NOON said:
I know people who just use one of the looper pedals for this kind of testing. Simple and already guitar-compatible.
But a pedal doesn't have the correct output impedance, which is essential for testing the response of overdrive, fuzz, treble boost and distortion pedals.
The interaction between the pedal's input stage and the guitar's impedance is a very important factor.

But a pedal doesn't have the correct output impedance, which is essential for testing the response of overdrive, fuzz, treble boost and distortion pedals.
The interaction between the pedal's input stage and the guitar's impedance is a very important factor.
Thanks! The speakers may be a silly idea. My reasoning was just to be able to keep this "test box" isolated from the rest of my gear for efficiency. I Have a Little Labs reamp/Di that is pretty good at doing this i just hate having to set everything up every time i want to test something. I usually have multiple DIY projects as well as recording projects happening in the same space and just would like to make it as simple as pushing some wire into a terminal block and pressing a button. The impedance matching is super important, i completely overlooked that, i mostly make fuzz pedals so without that feedback is very much appreciated! Thanks man

Latest posts

Back