guitar volume pot drop out, replace it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

Older guitar, 12 years old. Carvin something or other.

The volume pot drops out intermittently except when at highest volume setting.

In your experience, will contact cleaner fix this? Or should I just replace the pot?
Will a quality pot prevent me from having to do this again in another 10 years?

Thanks for any insights, Kato

Thanks mates.

In retrospect, that was the "why don't you just try it and find out?" kind of question I usually find annoying - especially since I already had a 500k log pot in the parts bin.

As it turns out, I couldn't get a can of air or deoxit anywhere near the pot because there was no leeway - I had to cut the wires to get it out.  While out, I just replaced and tossed the old pot. No point in fucking around for too much of the day - I just wanted the guitar back up and running.

The surprise was to investigate the stock factory wiring. Bare solid core connections between tone and volume pot. Also, a cap with flying leads between pots. Again, nothing preventing a short except the stiffness of wiring. The audio engineer in me wanted to rewire the whole thing.

The voice of reason overruled that urge. The guitar sounds great as is. I didn't want to mess with a good thing...
Thanks again for the input.  Kato

excuse the late reply , i've never had to replace a gtr pot  , but they're mostly left
all the way up [ 20-30 yrs ]
You can get a wiff in there by spraying from the top after taking the knob off
often enough will slide down the shaft to give a result

Latest posts

Back