Hakko 808 Tip: Replace filters

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

I've been lazy replacing the paper filters on my Hakko 808... now it wouldn't suck anymore, very weak suction even though  I've put in a new filter, made sure no holes are clogged, etc.

I've resigned myself to buying a new one again (I really need this tool). But first, I decided to take a crack at opening the pump assembly to see what was wrong.

Found the problem, the gasket had been coated with hardened flux and the holes partially blocked also with hardened flux. Soaked the gasket in alcohol and cleaned all pump parts (except rubber) with alcohol and a rag. Put everything back together and turned it on. I could tell it sounds differently now. I could actually hear air being sucked in.

Then tried to suck up solder and it works just like brand new again.

Clean parts #1, 2 and 3.  Repeat twice, there's two of them.

5187747977_851cbbdfaf_o.png

instead of buying new filters all the time, you can soak them in alcohol, dry them and reuse.
Sometimes I'll just peel off the front dirty layer and continue, Yea, it makes them a little thinner
but it works if your in a hurry.

Thanks. I'll try that soaking in alcohol technique for the filters. Haven't thought about that.

I do peel them... but sometimes it gets to the point of being ridiculously thin. :)

I've had a lot of problems with the tip getting clogged up. I wrecked the little wire a long time ago they include to clean out the nozzle. I've had to take it off and drill it out and I'm not far from needing a new tip because it's gotten squashed a bit. Any advice on not clogging up the tip or ways to unclog it?

Back