Hard to source parts...whaddayado?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

what do u guys do when the parts u need dont aren't carried by any of the bigger stores (Mouser Digikey Newark etc...) i also tried Surplus Sales of Nebraska & Circuit Speciallists, but no luck.

i need a set of pots (4) for the EQ section of my Bozak Mixer, & another pot for the Frequency Cutoff on my Filter Factory. i was able to figure out what part #'s i needed easily enough using Bourns' system, but no one seems to carry the models i need, nor have a cross for it either.

i tried asking Bourns for samples of the ones i need for the Bozak, though i doubt i'll get them.

anyone have any places to reccommend?

if bourns makes it I think newark will order it for you. they also had a pretty extensive bourns selection but it may have been over a year since I opened a newark catalog. Try them, hopefully there isnt a huge minimum. group order...

dave

yeah thats the thing...mouser had it listed too, but as a "non stocked" item w/ min orders of either 500 or 1000. (i forget)
i guess i'll just keep looking, i mean if they're being manufactured, then there has gotta be some way to get them, no?

i'm not holding my breath though.

thanks,
-dave

[quote author="Technetium"]i mean if they're being manufactured, then there has gotta be some way to get them, no?[/quote]
No. They are not manufactured unless somebody orders a box of them... Bourns has a lot of parts in their catalogue. That just means they can make them, not that they are making them.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I think the best solution in your case is to buy the pots as spare parts from the equipment manufacturer or places where they repair stuff like yours..

thanks for the info guys.

unfortunately i can't get the parts as spare parts since bozak has been out of business for years & electrix says they are in the process of selling off the whole line & that parts are not available @ this time. :?

oh well...

guess i could just swap the frequenct cutoff pot w/ one of the other less used ones on the board (they're all the same value). as for the bozak, well, i guess i just wont play w/ the eq.

once again thanks for the heads up.
-dave

I just repaired an Electrix Repeater for a customer who had smashed a couple of rotary encoders and a slider in a mishap. I had to painstakingly repair them with pins and epoxy as I couldn't get replacement parts. My best suggestion in this situation is to look for busted gear of other types that has salvagable parts, eg. E-mu Proteus 1's for example, broken ones are next to worthless, but have useful parts.

Back