• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Harrison 4032 Modules (ABBA/"Thriller" etc)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

I have a number of Harrison 4032 modules... not enough for a full console, sadly. The Mic Pre's on these use the Jensen JT-115k-E transformer and the Tape Outputs use a Jensen transformer for balancing & isolation. Thy also have a long-throw P&G conductive plastic fader.

These were used for "decoration" on a film set and have one or two holes drilled in them... (some were also spray-painted black for set dressing!) if you NEED these as spares for a Harrison console, let me know, and I'll try to pick a couple with what look to be more easily 'returnable' to function, and -obviously- without the paint, but if you want to build a mic pre from them, then read on.

The most obviously useful parts of these would be the Jensen input and output transformers. With two op-amps and the mic gain pot, you could easily make a very tidy mic pre. -Re-use the (metal-can) op-amp for a completely authentic rebuild.

The input transformer alone is over $160 new, so how about $100 for a complete module? (plus shipping... which would be less if you just want the transformers, pots, op-amp(s) for example.

The EQ was a 4-band sweep, which some people quite liked, though I was a REAL fan of the sweep filters, which overlap phenomenally! (I'm serious... they're the BUSINESS!)

If you're not familiar with the Harrison 4032, it's the console that ABBA installed two of at their Polar Studios facility in Stockholm... There are a couple of other users on here, and Frank Rollen actually did a complete module scan and PDF which would be a great help for anyone who needs to repair any modules.
Most famously, it was the board used by Bruce Swedien and Quincy Jones on the Michael Jackson "Thriller" album at Westlake Studios.
-Other famous owners included Frank Zappa ('Joe's Garage' was mixed by Mick Glossop on Frank's own 4032) and Bruce Swedien bought another one for himself at his 'Viking West" home studio.

Any questions, feel free to ask here or email me at keithwandrews - at- gmail - dotcom.

Been a while since I've bought or sold anything on here, so I hope I'm within the rules and spirit of the forum; Happy to correct any errors.

Here's one module photo (unpainted!) I have some close ups of transformers, fader, front panel etc - Can add them in replies if anyone wants?

Cheers! -Keef

IMG_3135.jpeg

Hi Keef

Any idea of the dimensions ?
let say without fader and buss routing section dose it fit 19" ? (which seem to request pcb cut anyway...)

Cheers
Zam

Overall module length is 30.75 inches.
Module width is just under 1.75 inches (so, conveniently fractionally under 1 Rack Unit height)
the main rectangular center section is fractionally over 17.25 inches...

The thing about racking it up if you just wanted to slice off the fader and routing matrix protrusions is that there's this enormous area of "wasted space" in the middle of the module which houses the daughter board for the logic-controlled FET switching.

Basically this takes console status like record or mix mode and feeds the mix buss from either the monitor pot or the fader (via the pan control of course) and this stuff would all be unused in a rack version.

The basic module layout -referencing the top photo- is as folows:
The mic preamp is the top right (by the round transformer)
The balanced output is at the bottom right (by the open-frame transformer)
The EQ is next to the mic preamp (a little to the left... 4 small round pots above 4 blue Bourns multi-gang pots)
The Filters are next to the EQ (a little further to the left... 2x blue Bourns multi-gang pots)
The fader is the top left
The vast wasteland in the middle is basically where all the traces lead to and from the audio switching daughter board in the center.
The logic chips are basically fader voltage routing and cut/solo logic etc... all unused.

The most efficient way to get a preamp with a decent line drive capability would be to just use the transformers and copy the 1-IC preamp and 1-IC (plus matched-pair) line driver... -If you wanted to rack the EQ and filters, that section could likely be cut out, and you'd need to just feed plus/minus power and 0V, then signal in and signal out. -It's unbalanced within the module, so the standard differential receiver/driver arrangement should balance it if that's needed.

Keef

Interested in 2 full modules. Can you take pics of faceplate?
Missing vca cards and looks C version original IC capacitors.

Last edited:
I'll post any stuff I discover here which may be helpful... I know Frank Rollen did some sterling work... but I just found this site which is new to me:
http://www.moxtone.com/Harrison 4032.htm
Ok , very great desk ,
and have 2 or more ch racked can only be a good and right thing !!

But guys please there are so many other records that sound as Thriller or also better , made with other type consoles (Neve , SSL , MCI , ...)
one at random The Dark Side Of The moon...
cheers

So many inbox messages, haven't replied to all yet, and I'm trying to think about how I'm going to package them (mush easier to just send the transformers etc, but everyone seems to need the whole modules!)

I'll get to everyone first-come-first-served a soon as I've got the shipping materials figured out.

Next up will be a few SSL 9000 J-series modules... gotta clear space in the garage!

Latest posts

Back