Has anyone built a custom noval to octal tube socket converter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

All my EF86 tubes (for U47 microphone) were deselected by the sellers who ebayed them, and have way too much noise for microphone use.

Interestingly, I have a bunch of 6SJ7 tubes I could try, but they're octal sockets. I found some socket converters on eBay. They won't work for EF86 to 6SJ7, but I'm wondering if I can take these apart and rewire them internally.

nov-oct.jpg

I'm just thinking out loud if you folks have any thoughts. I realize I would need a giant ass mic body to fit this sort of thing. But I have a BM-95 on the way, which I'm hoping is large enough to fit, at least for experimentation.

What's the best advice? Should I just stop dicking around and buy some properly tested EF86's?
It's $18 just for the converter, which I could probably better put toward a good tube.

Last edited:
I checked all the known socket converters I could find, and none of them pin correctly.
This is just my scratchpad. Fair warning, none of the 3 I found would do EF86 to 6SJ7 as sold.

Attachments

• napkin.jpg
    napkin.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 4
Ive used EF86's with PTFE valve bases in a U47/Elam type design . Space is usually fairly limited in mic bodies , you might also add signifigant incidental capacitance and possibly leakage using an adapter . Im not sure how well a 6SJ7 would tollerate the sorts of grid resistor values found in tube mics. Sony seemed to favour the 6AU6 in the C37a, C800 and C800G , again not every specimen will handle the high grid resistances involved so testing for noise would be required .

Ive used EF86's with PTFE valve bases in a U47/Elam type design . Space is usually fairly limited in mic bodies , you might also add signifigant incidental capacitance and possibly leakage using an adapter . Im not sure how well a 6SJ7 would tollerate the sorts of grid resistor values found in tube mics. Sony seemed to favour the 6AU6 in the C37a, C800 and C800G , again not every specimen will handle the high grid resistances involved so testing for noise would be required .
Hey, thanks for chiming in. I never considered the added capacitance from a socket converter.

I have a bunch of 6AU6's. Obviously not pin-compatible, but I've never seen mention of anyone trying a conversion so it's probably not worth the effort to pioneer that adventure.

I think I'll just pay for a well-tested EF86 and move on. But I appreciate you entertaining my train of thought, Matthew

Glad to be of assistance Matthew,
I was lucky enough to collect a handfull of Mullard EF86's used but in good nick , pulled from old preamps etc . Probably not such a commonly used tube stateside , sometimes its worth buying old amp chassis just for the tubes they contain .

Latest posts

Back