Has anyone got any info on this Neve unit please?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeeth

Does anyone have any info on this please?

It's a Neve monitor panel. I believe it was pulled from an 8026 console judging from this and other pictures…

http://www.phaseonestudios.com/studi...es/large15.jpg

I'm looking for some paperwork for it if possible, ideally a schematic. We have been going through it today and have pretty much worked out what everything is and where it goes but it would be good to have some more detail.

I'd also just be really keen to hear some history of it if anyone recognises it.
All the others I've seen online seem to be one panel with lines silk screened between the modules. Mine is still on one panel but the channels have individual faceplates so I'm hoping that might mean it's easier to identify. That could be a reach though.

There’s a few specifics I could do with help on if possible...

I'm still not really sure what the 17th channel [or whatever the furthest right channel] does. We haven't really investigated that one yet though it’s labelled ‘mono’ on that picture.

Are the Plessey connectors original? They don't connect properly as there's nothing to hold them in place. I'm 99% sure I'll replace these with something else but if someone can tell me a way to improve what's there I'm all ears.

I'm missing a lens for one of the bulbs, are they still get-able? There’s a picture attached.

I also think the pan pots aren’t original so I’ve order one of these from Don-Audio but I’m not 100% if it will fit…

https://www.don-audio.com/Vintage-Audio-Classic-British-Fluted-Knob-with-skirt-CAE041189

I had some others here that I thought would be right, one of them is on channel 17 in the pic but the shaft is much longer than I expected [pause] so they don’t fit. They’re also quite expensive. If anyone knows of another source that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I would like to help but the first link does not work for me and the other pictures are unfortunately too small to tell much.

Cheers

Ian

hat is a much better picture. I am not sure but it looks like a monitor/producer's section. This is from the days when the engineer sat on the left and worked the channels for tracking and the producer sat to his right and had his own little line level mixer. Its inputs were usually automatically routed from the tape machine - inputs that were recording and sync head for the others.

The panel itself was usually 100% passive but it would often have some amps fitted at the rear of the console.

I am not sure where this desk comes from but it looks to be a custom build. To the left of the monitor panel are some channel routing modules but they do not have associated channel amps. Not sue what these are for.

The panel beneath the monitor does not look like a Neve original to me.

It always seems a shame to me when people hack these old beauties apart.

Cheers

Ian

Ian, the large pic above is not the OP´s but a similar one from an exsisting desk.
I would think that the op´s unit is custom made and that it would be impossible to find an exact schematic.
But it should be more or less the same as any other passive Neve monitor section schematic, but maybe with a few added features.
There would have been rows of input transformers in the frame, most likely one 31267 and one 10368 per channel.

API said:
Ian, the large pic above is not the OP´s but a similar one from an exsisting desk.
I would think that the op´s unit is custom made and that it would be impossible to find an exact schematic.
But it should be more or less the same as any other passive Neve monitor section schematic, but maybe with a few added features.
There would have been rows of input transformers in the frame, most likely one 31267 and one 10368 per channel.

I think that is correct. The monitor sections were frequently modified but the basic overall schematic did not change much. Most, if not all, inputs were line level so 31267 transformers would have been used.

Cheers

Ian

It looks similar to the old 8036 I used to work on.  Here is a page from the schematics.

It big to zoom in and taken from a cell phone

Attachments

• neve monitor mres.jpg
    neve monitor mres.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 35
fazer said:
It looks similar to the old 8036 I used to work on.  Here is a page from the schematics.

That is pretty much standard. Input via 21267 to level pot then to pan pot and buses. Post fader feed to rev send. Inputs largely automatically selected from tape in, sel sync or playback.

Cheers

Ian

When I started my professional career as a sound engineer I like many started as a tape op, is dreamed about using an old neve console (not ver old then) but studios were already removing the amp/eq modules and having them racked up, it was a tragedy to me, I remember being heavily chastised for speaking up against it - tape op mouthing off is never wanted! - so even though is vintage king and there exirbitant prices, it did my heart good to see. And it made me think of you Ian being sad about these old battleships being broken up

https://vintageking.com/blog/2017/04/neve-8058/

I've seen a number of consoles returned to their former glory recently - Mark at funky Junk has renovated several, he collected the empty frames and buckets at the time when everyone was paying a fortune to have their board dismantled , probably knowing that the modules would come back at sometime as folks retire or get out of the game, and sontgey did, now he's selling renovated full consoles to rich artists and lawyers.

So we can be sad all over again, because they will be used in private hobby studios.

It is not all bad news. A lot of Neve consoles were built in the 70s so it is not surprising a lot have been parted out but fortunately there are still quite a lot out there in near oiginal condition. I am pleased to say that two of the consoles I deigned myself are still out there earning a living. One is the one I did for The Who's Ramport Studios and the other is the one I did for the Kinks Konk studios.

Cheers

Ian

Wow! I know the kinks Neve well, did Ray actually  pay for it! Long may it continue, when was that installed, do you remember?

Timjag said:
Wow! I know the kinks Neve well, did Ray actually  pay for it! Long may it continue, when was that installed, do you remember?

I have no idea who actually paid for it - the salesman dealt with that side - I was the sales engineer whose job it was to sort out the technical details of the console customisation. I don't rememeber the actual install date but it was probably within a year or so either way of 1975.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back