Have I gone mad ?? ( obsession support required ! )

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually I´m working on let´s say four projects parallel. When I get stuck through lack of parts in one I can swap to the next until I get stuck there and so on. It saves a lot of shipping costs to order for more than one project. Besides that I always do forget something in my orders so the next has to come up very soon, anyway, the get something finished

ok... still feel like a rooky here:

Sontec 1 ru (allmost done, waiting for the pots and knobs)
mastering insert box (still need a lot of wiring and realying to be done)
Pultec EQ (i allready have one running here but love it that much i'm sourcing parts for a second one)
Calrec EQ (i ordered baords some time ago then the sontec 1ru came up)
Poorman 660 (think we all do this)

Now that is see my list it's longer then i thought :roll:

[quote author="jensenmann"]Usually I´m working on let´s say four projects parallel. When I get stuck through lack of parts in one I can swap to the next until I get stuck there and so on. It saves a lot of shipping costs to order for more than one project. Besides that I always do forget something in my orders so the next has to come up very soon, anyway, the get something finished[/quote]
I agree with this method. Sometimes you also may get stumped mentally on something and going to something else is one way to keep from banging your head against the wall trying to figure stuff out. You may forget where you were and it may take some time to get back in the "groove", but it helps keeping you on your toes and helps in the learning process.
.... as well as the last point.

You are all lunatics, you are out of control, kick the habit now before it consumes your life, if you don't, your savings will dwindle to zero, you will 2nd mortgage you house and eventually lose it, you will lose your wife, kids and the car.

Don't wait until tomorrow, bite the bullet and kick teh habit immediately, today, yes today.

Box up all unfinished projects up with pcb's, panels and parts and send them to me. Tomorrow you will thank me. I am your saviour.

Michael

[quote author="emrr"]I spent 6 hours one day this week getting a basic parts order list ready. Making lists and checking against my existing parts stock.

Then the next day I spent 10 hours sourcing the part #s in catalogs and placing orders.

I had to stop once I could no longer see or think.

I still haven't ordered everything I need for 5 specific projects.

The true cost of DIY.[/quote]

That is SO true Doug, it can take hours to source parts so I started to keep
my self written "order list" which has part description /number /Farnell or whoever
number and cost per unit. ( together with the packing slip when it arrives )
That's great to go back to, when you're on 1176 number 2 for example :)

MM.

yeah, I have a stack of previous order sheets with part #'s a good 5mm thick, and try to keep running lists of things to add to the next order. And there's always something missing. Then, at some point, you have so many parts that you can't find what you need anymore, so you order another because it's just more practical than spending 4 hours digging through boxes and bins.

Totally agree with you Doug , spend too many hours trying to list the
" right " parts to order , than figure might as well do a couple of project
parts orders to amotize shipping , then almost always have back orders
that affect every project , so the " paralell " projects then grow deeper
trying to get something done .
Of course any real paying gig is the best excuse to delay a non paying
project money costing project ,
And there is sometimes something anti climatic about inching the last few
hours to completion , then the real responsability of meaningfully using
it , and with any luck generating a little income .

Wow I feel right at home now! I have always felt like i was "born a gear junkie" the best part is that until a couple months ago i didnt even know I could control it by making the coveted gear myself! (with help of course) If i think of all the cash i have spent over the years on PRO-Sumer crap that broke and i was never happy with the sound of that gear anyway it was just a go-between until I could afford the nice stuff..... Well now the nice stuff is being made by US!

Anyway well maybe I don't feel quite as bad only having 3 projects going at once right now but give me a few weeks I will be back for more therapy and a bigger list! :green:

I SWEAR I CAN STOP DIY ANYTIME I WANT!!!

HAHA we are all like a bunch of drunks at an "AA" meeting oh! I mean DIY metting hehe....Yeah you know diy becomes a problem when you find that you no longer keep in contact with friends and such and things like doing the laundry and basic hygene becomes non-priority...oh and sleep none of it..

I made a promise the other day to abstain from diy for at least 4 days and all I could do was sleep as soon as I got home from work also...the paranoia and the voices in my head started to diminish from just the weak attempt at some proper sleep hygene :oops:

Back