Hawkers paradise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I had some bits of recycling to go to the local civic amenity site last week , In the large trolleys of electronics I plucked out two similar model(98x series) Dewalt cordless drills ,both with batteries .
I had a hunch the drill bodies themselves were ok so I took them both away with me .
When I got home I checked things out ,the first cell pack was gone leaky and wouldnt hold any kind of charge , so I carefully removed the cells and cleaned up the mess . The second seemed to be holding charge .
Turns out the second cell pack is actually good and both drills function perfectly , I was able to clean up the chuck and remove the rust and other accumulated grime and dirt from the canary yellow body .
Of course these are old models now with NiCD batteries and brushed motor , but the modern dewalt equivalent with LIPO battery and brushless motor is around 500 euros new.
Ive replaced the nicd's with Lipo cells in an old 12v dewalt Ive had for years and years and its still going strong , I now charge it on a hobby style charger with cell balance ability , its easy to find a lipo cell pack to fit inside the original battery case . The other option is a cell pack adapter , Lidl do a range of cordless 20 volt lipos and an adapter to the older dewalt style battery connector .
Anyway just saying , if you spot an old Dewalt drill on the scrap heap theres every chance its working , if its one of the high end models its well worth cleaning up and changing the battery to Lipo . Having two cordless drill makes plenty of sense , one for drilling one as a screw gun ,that saves having to change the bits on the job .
As I was saying my first Dewalt cordless I got second hand for cheap around 15 years ago , the Nicads died ,but it still runs like clockwork with LIPO power .
The two new ones are much more heavy duty 14.4v drills with the metal gear boxes , I did spend more or less the whole day cleaning and checking everything on one , but its time well spent ,
these things will be with me until the end of my days and cost zip all .
Im very glad the person who disposed of these placed them in such a way someone like me would see them , but this wanton waste has to stop sooner or later or we end up going the way of the dodo.
The cost of a throwaway society is war someplace else , remember that .

Last edited:
I've still got my 20 year old Dewalt 14.4V drill/driver with dead NiCds. Might do a battery conversion. I replaced it with a Makita set including small impact driver, but it would be good to have an extra for the tractor toolbox. We have Lidl here...wonder if they sell the kit you mentioned.

Thankfully tools aren't that expensive here. I paid around $225 for the Makita set including charger and two 2Ah batteries. The chuck and gear set isn't as heavy duty as the Dewalt was.

your right , many trade guys I know said the older dewalts were bomb proof until the charger/battery died , well worth renovating if the motor,gear box,chuck are in good order .

a three cell lipo works perfect with a 12 volt drill ,the old battery pack makes a perfect housing for it , you only need to choose a cell capacity that fits and solder it in once the original cells have been removed . My guess is a 20volt pack will work with a 14.4v drill , ok if you leave it on full throttle into a stalled dead load it will burn itself very fast ,but thats a operator error issue .

Theres already one enterprising individual who opened a shop dedicated to replacing the batteries in cordless tools here , Im not sure if he offers Nicad replacement ,more than likely its Nimh or Lipo chemistry , I must call up there for a look .

I'll post a pic later of a 12v battery pack I converted from Nicad to Lipo , the cell balance jst connector lives inside the part at the top just below the terminals , I added a bit of ribbon to make it easy to pull out when charging .
The lipo cells are in everyday use for the last 10 years with only a minor reduction of capacity (less than 10%).
Ocassionally Ive had a situation where the cells get depleted to the point the charger says no , then its a matter of running the charger in two cell mode just to bump up the cells , only takes a matter of seconds .

I know the blue Makita drills , a buddy has one , one time he left it in the back of the van and something pressed up against the trigger in transit , the lipo ended up deeply discharged to the point the makita charger signaled a battery fault, its simple to remedy this with an RC hobby type charger , but I'd imagine many would just think the battery is dead and replace it .

A 20volt 5 cell lipo on a 14.4v drill might be a bit excessive , a lipo cell reaches 4.2v at full charge so three in series equals 12.6v ,4cells 16.8v and 5 cells around 21 volts fully charged .

'Say hello to my little friends ' ,
On the left my original screw gun , nice and light with the lipo , you can see how Ive fitted it, I used aluminium expanded mesh with lots of extra tape to create a cage where the cell protrudes ,
I used two small plastic screws to secure the terminal block up where it needs to be .
The lipo has the usual Hobbyking XT-60 connectors , I just soldered on a female connector to the battery terminals , theres plenty of space to tuck the cable down so it doesnt get in the way and its a no solder job to change out the cells when it comes time . The last thing is the JST charge balance connector , that lives in the case protrusion , I tied on a short ribbon loop to make it easier to pull it out of its hiding place .

I think Id probably prefer going down the cell adapter/charger route for convenience ,
I'll make an enquirey with Lidl to find out if they still have the adapters from Dewalt nicad to their proprietary 20 volt system , worst comes to worst I might end up adding a whacking great metal clad resistor so I dont drive the nuts off the 14.4v system by giving it a +50 % voltage boost .

As you can see the 980 series shaped up beautifully , I had to loose the rubber hand grip and model number badges as they were torn to shit , I managed to peel a layer of the rubber off intact so I have a template , I'll grab a pair of kinky boots down in the charity shop and make proper leather handgrips for them .
1664293600061.jpeg
Funny clip from an old movie called Topsecret , I couldnt resist , hopefully no one is mortally offended .

maybe me and the ex can part as friends after all , Ill send her away with a big grin on her face :D

Any snowflakes wanna try bash me for sexist remarks?
you know what you'll get , a good fisting 😂

Last edited:
Still on the hunt for a way to change the old Dewalts over to lipo power , I found these available locally , 3d printed , Im just checking with the maker to see if theres space for the terminal block to fit in the battery mount , then I only need to attach the top of the old battery housing ,either 14.4v or 18v type and wire it up to make a really tough adapter ,
The Printer also does Milwaulkie and Parkside battery style holders ,
I could try and get him to add slots /screwholes at the correct centers so the battery top plates drop in and bolt down to deck securely , in the end its all easily done the old fashioned way , drill in hand .
These things seem to be 3D molded ,then machined , the quality is impressive , it looks like its off a Fluke in the canary yellow .
1664445847819.jpeg

Last edited:
Turns out the guy who does the printing is a bit of a whizz ,
he's well used to doing one offs and custom jobs and can easily add any changes I require ,

I considered trying to make a serious post over in machine room on this topic to try and pull this one up out of the gutter but we'd end up having puddles of old boys piss all over the floor , John would only wind up dealing with a pile of complaints from the spouses and care ASSistants 😧

Back