HE-569 pre/eq 500 series

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pahstah said:
I have sent an email to Cyril Jones today. I hope I will get an answer. however it will be very difficult to put it in the current pcb: the transformer is big and occupies a lot of space.

Thanks for the clarification Paolo, understood. On this basis I'd be keen to proceed with a build based on the Sowter transformer. I'll send you a PM if that's the best way to arrange a purchase?

Thanks again,

Matthew

iprovlek said:
This is the mail I tried....

Please don't post emails here publicly as can they be used by Spammers and Scammers.

Please remove the email from your post.

If you want Cyril's email PM me and I will send it to you

I'd like to stress this information again:

Sowter at the moment is delaying some transformers and as you can see in the first page of their site  "We are operating and shipping product but due to high demand we have a significant backlog of orders and the current crisis is having a severe impact. We expect to be able to meet all current comitments with minimal or no delay."
they are prioritizing the most requested transformers and the lustraphone replica is not one of them...

I'm not saying that this project is on hold until Sowter's transformer is ready to ship again, it is possible to use other 1:10 input transformers but it is important to check dimensions and clearances, also you lose the 1:1 tap the act as an input pad.

Paolo

I ordered a Sowter 7490 Lustraphone M10 on 16 September (for my own project), still no sign. It'll be 12 weeks in couple of days.

I think it might be worth it to contact David at Cinemag. If there is interest he would do some lustrsphone xfmrs but it would need to be at least 10. FWIW David is a good dude and makes the effort.

I've just spoken to someone at Carnhill (who now own Sowter). He told me that lead time on the PCB pin version of the Lustraphone transformer would be approximately 12 weeks, and was interested to hear of this project.

He suggested that if a number of orders were to come in then they could potentially fulfil them all from one batch, so there might be some benefit in co-ordinating our orders.

The chap I spoke to also explained that Carhill's acquision of Sowter happened just as Covid-19 hit, so they've had a very disrupted transition. He said they're currently taking on more staff, so fingers crossed normal service might be resumed at some point.

Cheers,

Matthew

Squeaky said:
I ordered a Sowter 7490 Lustraphone M10 on 16 September (for my own project), still no sign. It'll be 12 weeks in couple of days.

He did also say that they had a few of the flying-lead type going through at the moment, so fingers crossed yours is in that batch!

I've just realised that it's not the PCB pin version we need, its the 7490f (flying lead version). I'll go back to Sowter with that correction in case it makes any difference.

Cheers,

Matthew

MatthewF said:
He did also say that they had a few of the flying-lead type going through at the moment, so fingers crossed yours is in that batch!

Thanks Matthew, fingers crossed indeed.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Pastah,

I'm interested in ordering some PCBs if you still have any. I'd be interested in as many as 10 if you have stock. Please PM me at your convenience.

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I have some helios kits available, but I must warn you that the sowter transformer needed for this project is not readily available through sowter, I'm waiting my order since October...

I have tried to contact Cyril Jones without success.

Also there are two a new manufacturer that have just released a new version of the helios pre.

https://vintageking.com/blog/2021/01/h2-audio-helios/ this one uses cinema transformers and an output transformer as my design.

http://www.audiodigitaltechnology.com/MicPre/. this one uses a recreation of the Lustraphone transformer. Maybe Cyril Jones has something to do with this or maybe not, but it seems like they are offering the Lustraphone transformer on their site. If somebody could be so kind to ask them it could be useful information.

Paolo

Hi everybody...

Paolo I asked about input trannie M10 for your helios channel strip on this site:

http://www.audiodigitaltechnology.com/MicPre/

And they answered me:

unfortunately I have no spare stock
they are all assigned to our new MicPre and EQ units 
you might try Cyril Jones at Raindirk Audio

Regards

Jim Dowler
Audio Digital Technology

MatthewF said:

It has been about 20 weeks now since I ordered the M10 clone from Sowter, still no sign.

Hi everybody,

the story so far:

after four iterations of the design and after four different prototypes, finding the right knobs, fighting with oscillation etc,  I came up with this last revision. Unfortunately, just as I finalized the project,  Sowter went gone through some problems and now it seems like they're trying to catch up with the production but I don't know how much time it is going to take it.

Bottom line the M10 lustraphone clones aren't available in a short period of time.
Some of you pointed me in the direction of Cyril Jones clones, but after various e-mails I wasn't able to reach him.

At the moment I have SIX kit left. And for "kit" I mean front panel, L bracket, pcbs and knobs. Everything else has is own Mouser cart in the first post of this thread, output transformer is 2623 that is available through CAPIgear or AVDaudio, inductors are available through Audiomaintenance.

I am testing Jensen 115k 1:10 input transformer that can be mounted in the same footprint as Sowter's BUT loses the 1:1 tap.
The Jensen to my ears is slightly brighter that Sowter but seems like the best alternative.

SO.....

I feel forced to make a fifth revision wich is going to have a "Pad" solution for Jensen 115K. (it can be done in this revision too but it would not be so elegant).

What do you suggest?

Paolo

Hi Paolo!

On Avdaudio site there is version input transformer which is for API 312 circuit, 1:10 ratio, which is somekind

of Jensen clone(BT-115KE-PCA) , Cinemag clone(CMMI-10PCA) version....maybe this can be use for your

Helios.

http://avdaudio.com/catalog.htm?id=1373

And this new one hammond series, studio grade transformers...

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/audio/1140

1140 MN-A

And third choice is Neutrik NTE 10/3 which is general purpose step up microphone transformer....

https://www.neutrik.us/en-us/product/nte10-3

Latest posts

Back