Headlights on newer model cars

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I'm an olde grump and have a recent pet peeve. <g>

New cars are equipped with new tech headlights (LED? HID?) which are blinding me with the blue-ish light! I stay in the right lane on 4 lane streets to minimize the problem, but no choice on two lane streets.

I also learned that if a new headlight goes out, it will cost hundreds to well over a thou to replace each one.

Progress??

Bri

New cars are equipped with new tech headlights (LED? HID?) which are blinding me with the blue-ish light! I stay in the right lane on 4 lane streets to minimize the problem, but no choice on two lane streets.
The blue ones are Xenon, I think. I remember seeing a handful around about a decade ago, but it seems like just about every new car I meet has them now. I agree, they're awful to meet at night.
I also learned that if a new headlight goes out, it will cost hundreds to well over a thou to replace each one.
This is incredibly irritating, too. I got hit with it a couple years ago when a headlight went out. This whole business of "light assemblies" instead of individual bulbs makes no sense to me—but then again, I'm not profiting from it. I also don't care for these light assemblies that are motorized. If the service tech doesn't make sure to align the new light, you end up with your headlights shooting at different points in the distance.

You'd think they'd have learned after all those cars with pop-up headlights in the 80s and 90s looked so silly when one motor died and you met cars looking like they'd had an eye put out.

Some higher spec cars have telemetry hidden in the light clusters , it can cost thousands to replace . Its a bit bizzare the motor industry claims all kinds of environmental good , yet are allowed persist with built in obsolesence instead of easier servicing . I once heard of a guy who needed a replacement headlight bulb on a modern car , 10 euros for the bulb , 150 euros to put the car up on the ramp and remove the bumper to be able to properly access the lighting cluster . A friend recently took their car into the main dealership , they came up with a list of parts that needed replacement , their own Toyota branded parts were twice the price of top quality equavalents from ordinary motor factors , things like bulbs, wiper blades and other standard replacement parts .

In order for someone to become rich ,it inevitably means another person gets poor , flashy advertising might fill you with feel good factor but it belies the reality . Lets all pat ourselves on the head and tell each other what a great job we've made to offset the reality of poorer people in far away places .

You'd think they'd have learned after all those cars with pop-up headlights in the 80s and 90s looked so silly when one motor died and you met cars looking like they'd had an eye put out.
Pop up headlights are kind of cool imo, but definitely a pita when one side stops going up. Often times it's a cheap plastic gear that gets worn out, but it's a lot more profitable for shops to replace the entire motor assembly.

Back