Help identifying these capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hi,
I don't know much about capsules but I'm slowly learning and it's becoming a really interesting topic to me.

I have 3 different capsules that I would like to have more info on, I'm pretty sure some of you guys that are really well versed on the different capsule types and brands/manufacturer could help me out identify the capsules I have.

It would be nice to know the capsule type (K47, K67 , CK12 for example) and possibly the manufacturer

Capsule #1 - seems to have a K47 hole pattern, has a single backplate, center terminated. Am I'm right?

zxrobHQm.png

enodHixm.png

zh8chVcm.png

Capsule #2 - Seems like a k67 or k87? is it dual backplate or single backplate? metal+plastic , I'm confused with these backplates
Center terminated

P7qQl9Hm.png

QANR35Am.png

teAXBgLm.png

Capsule #3 - seems to have a k67 or k87 hole pattern, dual backplates and center terminated

Zo1C87Qm.png

Cwf1saIm.png

73NQOlam.png

Please correct me if I mad any strong assumption.

Do you recognize any capsule or parts (screws, rings) that could identify the sources of manufacturers?

Thank you so much for your help

You are right. The first one has collapsed back diaphragm, and should be fixed. It does not work as it should. It's the same type Microphone Parts sell, and many others. Can be found on eBay and other Chinese sites. I guess it's Shuaiyin.

The second one is cardioid only from 797. Great capsule, probably from a SP, or a Behringer mic. Dual diaphragm version of these used to be found in some Soundelux (Bock) mics and Røde Classic 1.

The third one is the cheapest, least consistent, kind of a hybrid as it is smaller, 32mm. Not a "true" k67. It's sound is all over the place. Peluso claims he does some "magic" on these. I personally believe they are waste of time.

thank you so much for your inpu kingkorg

kingkorg said:
You are right. The first one has collapsed back diaphragm, and should be fixed. It does not work as it should. It's the same type Microphone Parts sell, and many others. Can be found on eBay and other Chinese sites. I guess it's Shuaiyin.

How can I fix this capsule? can I do it myself? I think sending it to someone for reskinning would be more than the price of a new one probably.
Could you help me out with links to this capsule?
The one K47 from Microphone Parts doesn't seem to be similar to this one, it has metal/brass rings.
I cant find any similar in ebay
I tried also Aliexpress, but it's hard to find any single backplate capsule, most for sale from Chinese sellers seem to be K67 copies. Even the ones that are single backplate have different screws, the screws in mine are recessed into the ring, the ones in Ali Express arent, also even in those I cant seem to see the hole pattern.

kingkorg said:
The second one is cardioid only from 797. Great capsule, probably from a SP, or a Behringer mic. Dual diaphragm version of these used to be found in some Soundelux (Bock) mics and Røde Classic 1.

Thanks

kingkorg said:
The third one is the cheapest, least consistent, kind of a hybrid as it is smaller, 32mm. Not a "true" k67. It's sound is all over the place. Peluso claims he does some "magic" on these. I personally believe they are waste of time.

Really? I didn't know that, by the looks I tough it was the best capsule from the 3 of them.
Where can these capsules be found and who makes them?

Thank you

The last one can be found in any mxl, t.bone, and such mics. Sadly even in Telefunken k47 and Copperhead.

https://m.thomannmusic.no/the_tbone_capsule_for_sc_450.htm?o=27&search=1605330499

K47
It's the same as MP, they just use metal rings lately. Previous editions had the same white rings.

https://wgtcenter.com/collections/capsules-element/products/microphone-34mm-large-mylar-capsule-diaphragm-condenser-double-sided-m7-k47-k49-k87-mount-for-neumann-u87-mic-diy-replacement-pro

If you are super comfortable and careful, you can try removing that center screw, and see if it will release diaphragm. You can use a thin straw, and blow like hyper carefully under the mylar. Or you can replace that side with plain kitchen foil, which is PET and about 12 microns, similar to original M7 capsule. You can extract some of ideas from my thread. But be ready to destroy it.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=67303.0

There's also this one.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62500951592/K47--large-golden-diaphragm-microphone.html?__sceneInfo=%7B%22cacheTime%22%3A%221800000%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22appDetailShare%22%7D

kingkorg said:
The last one can be found in any mxl, t.bone, and such mics. Sadly even in Telefunken k47 and Copperhead.

https://m.thomannmusic.no/the_tbone_capsule_for_sc_450.htm?o=27&search=1605330499

Thank you so much for the info.
So is this capsule bad quality or sounds bad?

https://www.thomann.de/pt/the_tbone_capsule_for_sc_450.htm

kingkorg said:
K47
It's the same as MP, they just use metal rings lately. Previous editions had the same white rings.

https://wgtcenter.com/collections/capsules-element/products/microphone-34mm-large-mylar-capsule-diaphragm-condenser-double-sided-m7-k47-k49-k87-mount-for-neumann-u87-mic-diy-replacement-pro

If you are super comfortable and careful, you can try removing that center screw, and see if it will release diaphragm. You can use a thin straw, and blow like hyper carefully under the mylar. Or you can replace that side with plain kitchen foil, which is PET and about 12 microns, similar to original M7 capsule. You can extract some of ideas from my thread. But be ready to destroy it.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=67303.0

Thank you so much, I guess I dont have nothing to loose...
It's $45 for a new capsule in the link you posted, so sending to someone for reskin is not worth. I can try it myself and see how it goes.
What is expected soundwise from a capsule with those problems?

I will check your thread, thanks

kingkorg said:
There's also this one.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/62500951592/K47--large-golden-diaphragm-microphone.html?__sceneInfo=%7B%22cacheTime%22%3A%221800000%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22appDetailShare%22%7D

Really cheap also. All this capsules are quite inexpensive.

Did you tried any of this 2 K47 capsules? any opinions on their quality and sound?

Thank you so much for the info.
So is this capsule bad quality or sounds bad?

It is very inconsistent, you never know how it will sound. High end peak is over the top, and it usually has a large dip in midrange before that boost. Low end is weak for a k67.

What is expected soundwise from a capsule with those problems?

Pattern response is disturbed, the vents are blocked. So it's going to be more towards omni. Boosted highs, and mids. Probably weak low end.

Did you tried any of this 2 K47 capsules? any opinions on their quality and sound?

These with white rings are well known on this forum, and used quite often by many. They sound good, and have k47 response. Some people had some issues with quality control, i had one with punctured diaphragm, but you just ask for a refund, or replacement in that case. Worked out fine for me.

The one with brass rings are new.

kingkorg said:

These with white rings are well known on this forum, and used quite often by many. They sound good, and have k47 response. Some people had some issues with quality control, i had one with punctured diaphragm, but you just ask for a refund, or replacement in that case. Worked out fine for me.

The one with brass rings are new.

The price for that K47 capsule from Microphone Parts is 3 times more than the link you posted, is there any reason for that?
Are the MP parts selected or go through a different tolerances?

I guess that capsule is quite nice to replace in any Chinese Mic that has the K67+Linear Schoeps type circuit.

Did you ever try the other K47 capsule in the Alibaba link?

It is the same capsule often advertised even at this forum as European produced k47. Notice the red spacers under the tensioning ring and backplate. I cant go into details, as i really can't have that discussion again. The "european" produced one is sold for about 160 euros.

kingkorg said:

It is the same capsule often advertised even at this forum as European produced k47. Notice the red spacers under the tensioning ring and backplate. I cant go into details, as i really can't have that discussion again. The "european" produced one is sold for about 160 euros.

Are those any good?

kingkorg said:

I really don't know what is the "European" advertised capsule, I've only started to learn on capsules last week, so I dont know what discussions there were in the past.
Bu if there's links for that subject please let me know

Capsule #2 is from a Studio Projects B1 microphone, the sound drops when you talk to the capsule and then comes back again after some seconds. I tried the most common methods de-humidify the capsule but the exact same problem persisted.
I changed that capsule in the mic for Capsule #3, it sounds horrendous. Very thin and Sibilant, low mids and bass seem reduced.
I will get something diferent for this mic maybe a K47 capsule.

Capsule #1, I tried unscrewing the center screw on the collapsed diaphragm , but it didn’t move. I will replace this one also for another K47

Back