Help me understand - two types of negative feedback

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassDan

GDIY Supporter
Here's my perpetually evolving tube preamp again. This time, trying to add in 9dB negative feedback is causing some issues. Can you please help me understand why?

Version 1 - From between R7 and R8, voltage divider from cathode, to input transformer (-) secondary. This arrangement is causing a significant high frequency lift upwards of 70kHz and getting really steep over 100kHz. Oscillation at high gains. Tidying up the layout and using shielded cable helped quite a bit, but it's still there. Any thoughts as to why?

Version 2 - From between C6 4.7uF cap and 10k potentiometer to input grid, after a 4.7uF cap. This arrangement produces a high frequency rolloff starting around 10k and down about -3dB at 40k.

My goals are to learn what is causing these phenomena (impedence changes, phase anomalies up top?) and, once that is figured, to add some soft of stepped NF switch to control gain reducation of V1.

Here are schematics. Gotta run to Walgreen's real quick, then I'll come back and show you the frequency sweeps.

Thanks, guys!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 9.25.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 9.25.51 PM.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 12.13.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 12.13.29 PM.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 97
There is definitely something wrong with the second schematic because the output of the cathode follower is connected directly to the grid of the first triode.

Cheers

Ian

2nd looks abit like a virtual ground circuit. perhaps try with a series input resistor (equal to what you want the transformer to see)

Version 1 - From between R7 and R8, voltage divider from cathode, to input transformer (-) secondary. This arrangement is causing a significant high frequency lift upwards of 70kHz and getting really steep over 100kHz. Oscillation at high gains.
At a certain frequency, the xfmr combines with its own stray capacitance to form an oscillator. You should notice that the oscillation changes with loading the primary.
Taming this oscillation is tough, since it involves damping that's gonna affect negatively the noise performance.
Version 2 - From between C6 4.7uF cap and 10k potentiometer to input grid, after a 4.7uF cap. This arrangement produces a high frequency rolloff starting around 10k and down about -3dB at 40k.
As 5v333 suggests, it's a VE stage, so the FB ratio depends very much on the source impedance. What is the Open Loop response?
Beware that the more NFB you apply the more you decrease the input impedance, which is not good for performance, particularly dynamic and ribbon mics.
TBH, I would use none of these circuits as a front end.

Last edited:
Yes. I did notice the value of that cap affected the HP filter point.
IMO you should abandon this avenue. Voltage-to-current NFB decreases the input impedance. You will not benefit from the free gain of the xfmr.
You should pursue with Plan A.

Last edited:
i wonder if you wouldnt throw out almost as much gain just from removing the bypass cap...

cathode follower already has alot of NF

There's one more version. In this sweep, I have added a cathode bypass cap to the NEXT stage, V2 (not shown on schematic). This creates evem more bump up top.

Attachments

• Cathode NF and V2 cath byp.png
    Cathode NF and V2 cath byp.png
    265 KB · Views: 82
Maybe you could implement the feedback this way, simular to the V72A preamp.. Have the feedback derived from the CF to the cold end of the trafos secondary. The 3k3 resistor can be of larger value...

Attachments

• input stage feedback.jpeg
    input stage feedback.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back