Help requested: TASCAM M216 Direct Out Mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerardo86

Hi everyone, I'm Gerardo from Italy, and I own a little home studio.
I'm new in this forum and very uneducated about Forum behavior, so please pardon me if i get something wrong. Anyway, It's a pleasure.

I'm clearly posting to abruptly exploit your knowledge 😅!
I own a TASCAM M 216 and I'm very interested in applying the Direct Out (post-fader) mod on the 16 channels as seen on soundgas.
I'll attach the manual with useful schemes.
I'd be so grateful if you could help me.

P.S.: I'm thinking to buy an ESI U168XT as interface after the mod is done so i could easily go Tascam -> ESI -> PC, what do you think?

Thank you

Attachments

• tascam_m-208_m-216_sm.pdf
    8.1 MB · Views: 9
I just finished the Direct Out mods on an M-208, the Soundgas blog was helpful but is missing a few of the details. Let me know if I can assist.

I just finished the Direct Out mods on an M-208, the Soundgas blog was helpful but is missing a few of the details. Let me know if I can assist.

About to start this mod job and decided I want to keep the RCA outs as I want to connect it to my Tascam 238 that I am also rebuilding. Going this route, would I use the same mod tail or would the jack impact impedance in the SoundGas recipie?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

I'm a little bit sceptical about the Direct Output Mod described by Soundgas here.
They seems to use both side of R139 to add the mod, with a 100r resistance in serie with on the hot pin, and 10K//33nf between the hot pin and the ground pin of the Neutrik. But this means it takes the signal from the fader output and before the buffer stage coming after the fader.
Looking the M300 serie (where the direct ouptut is native), the direct output signal come from after the buffer stage and in parallel of the pan and aux stage, which seems more logical.
Do I get wrong here?

Last edited:
Just to be a little bit more clear, here some schematics:
- the original M-200 schematic regarding the buffer stage after the faders and before the Aux and Pan.
- the same but for the M-300 series with the native direct output mod.
- The M-200 Direct Output Mod with my understanding from the Soundgas webpage.
- The M-200 Direct Output Mod with a simple copy of the M-300 but knowing that the Aux and (especially) Pan are different and the op-amp also. So It's maybe wrong, especially the 100k to ground which I don't understand really its purpose.

Any opinion would be great!

M-200_Direct_Output_Mod.jpg

Throwing this in here because Tascam and Direct Outs. A subject I’m interested in too.

Attachments

• Tape Op | Teac 2A mods - Message Board.pdf
    11.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0269.png
    IMG_0269.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back