help w replacement pots…

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnblunts

Hello all and thanks,
im pretty limited in the scope of electronics- ive built some kits and do some simple repairs so id appreciate some help from you’ all.

i have a aphex 661 that got drop on its face which snapped off all of the pots from a misfortune fall. easy enough for me to re solder new pots in but im having a hard time trying to source the pots on digikey. is there a standard used by manufactures to indicate size and form factor? i get the resistance/taper markings, just not sure of fit size. is it just a matter of looking for documentation per manufacture?
thanks for your time!
-S

Attachments

• 0F475C1F-D4C9-409F-AE37-6D01374D27E9.jpeg
    0F475C1F-D4C9-409F-AE37-6D01374D27E9.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 35
  • AD26F1CB-0DDA-416A-B4D3-12772146D4A1.jpeg
    AD26F1CB-0DDA-416A-B4D3-12772146D4A1.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 2F4D5544-B07A-4DC3-9844-AE433DB47058.jpeg
    2F4D5544-B07A-4DC3-9844-AE433DB47058.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 36
Those look like 16mm pots. The B is probably linear taper, the 15C probably an audio taper with 15% resistance at 50% rotation.

Back in the 70s for my kit business I would buy thousands at a time and could specify custom combinations of shaft/bushing etc.

I never tried to buy pots onsey/twosey... who owns aphex these days if anybody, do they have customer service?

JR

Those look like 16mm pots. The B is probably linear taper, the 15C probably an audio taper with 15% resistance at 50% rotation.

Back in the 70s for my kit business I would buy thousands at a time and could specify custom combinations of shaft/bushing etc.

I never tried to buy pots onsey/twosey... who owns aphex these days if anybody, do they have customer service?

JR
thank JR, yeah i had reached out aphex they sent me to a technician that wanted 15$ a pc so i never worked on it. This year ive been making a point to fix all of my broken stuff to save it from the trash bin. thanks for ur help here and over Geek Sl¥ts,
cheers

May want to make sure you get the legs/pins in the right length. Don't think they're all standard. It'll keep you from having to cobble something together if they don't line up with the front panel.
scott2000-yeah this is my concern! i get the ohms/taper aspect but i guess i hyst need to look at data sheets for form factor. lord knows i’ve mistakenly bought many the wrong item from mouser or digikey cuz i went off the pictures. thanks for ur reply.

FWIW, to attempt to find an EXACT replacement, you need to use a caliper to make multiple dimension measurements. I have a "clone" of one of these:

https://pim.mitutoyo.com/products/s...nagement/calipers/dial-calipers/dial-caliper/
There are so many dimensions that have to match in order to find an exact match. As John Roberts mentioned, when a manufacturer begins a production run with a large order, they will order exactly what they need and it will be built to that spec.

As Pucho mentioned, find parts that match the bushing and shaft diameters and lengths and "fly" leads to from/the three pins of the replacement onto the PCB.

Bri

I think the "Alpha 16mm split shaft pcb mount" are the same size as the pots in your photos:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-16mm-Split-Shaft-PC-Mount-Straight/
Although if you want to be sure you really have to use the Caliper, take measurements of your pots (shaft size, pin spacing, height, etc) and compare those with product spec sheets, which is no big deal, it's easy enough

There's a lot of different sizes and combination of small details, for some pots is impossible to find an exact replacement so using a different sized pot and soldering wires is a good solution,
but I think you're lucky as the ones you need seem to be quite standard

@Whoops....good comment.

I didn't even think to mention the actual shaft itself....it could be solid, split/spline, or a "D" shape.

I have no recollection about what sort of knobs that Aphex used which also defines the shape of the shaft.

Bri

Came across this...

https://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=75894
Those are Noble pots made in Japan, I used them on the Rhodes Mk7 pianos.

Yes, Aphex still has stock of these parts. Unfortunately, the new owners are rather dense when ordering these parts. Therfore you must be thorough and double check the order. I would also send Aphex a pic of eack pot for ID. I ordered some 15 C pots and got A's from them!

15A = 10% audio taper

15C = 10% reverse log taper

15B = linear taper.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

15A is audio taper, 15B is a pretty flat linear taper, 3B is linear but has an S taper, and 15C is a reverse of A. 15A and C on the same pot is usually a pan, 15C by it self may be a feedback type gain control.

Came across this...

Yes, Aphex still has stock of these parts. Unfortunately, the new owners are rather dense when ordering these parts. Therfore you must be thorough and double check the order. I would also send Aphex a pic of eack pot for ID. I ordered some 15 C pots and got A's from them!

15A = 10% audio taper

15B = linear taper.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Came across this...

15A = 10% audio taper

15B = linear taper.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
thanks-looks like they had the same experience as me.

Latest posts

Back