HELP!! Water in may Macbook

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diko2

Hi,

I,ve just flush some water on my new macbook.

I dry it, but what next?

I've been told that contact cleaner is too agresive for pcb. Is that true?

Isopropyl alcool?

Thanks.

Morgan

Just make sure it's DRY before turning it on.  I've had this happen a lot with electronics (including dropping my phone in my pond) and the damage happens while power is traveling through the unit.  After that, so long as you dry it quickly and thoroughly, there's not a whole lot you can or need to do. As far as cleaner goes, what are you looking to clean off the board?

I just read somewhere that isopropyl would be good to clean the pcb because it absorbs water and vaporizes. I wish I'd remember where that was so I could give you the link. They actually proposed to kinda soak the pcb in it for a while.

Michael

If it's clean water, I wouldn't bother too much about cleaning.

But as already advised, make sure to properly dry the device. A large bowl with rice could be helpful.
I accidentally put my iPod in the washing machine once. It worked flawlessly after two days in a rice bowl.

Best of luck,
Carsten

Thanks to all.

Finally i went to an apple repair shop. It cost me 190 euros to open it and dry and clean it correctly.
Everything works normally now.

I was a little worried because some time ago a friend of mine had the same problem but with beer.
We were on tour and it took 3 days to find a shop with the good drivers (apple's pentalobe).
Despite all our efforts to dry it externally, there were a lot of beer remaining inside and locally the board had  started to corrode.

At the shop they use a ultrasonic bath to clean and remove oxydation.

I wonder what is inside this bath? Isopropyl alcool?

Cheers

Morgan

maq3396 said:
You can also put them in a vacuum chamber/dessicator
The electrolytic caps probably wouldn't like that,  from their point of view, they would then have  14.7psi within, compared to the outside vacuum.  May be enough to vent and spew their guts.

Gene

Attachments

• Napolean Capacitor.jpg
    Napolean Capacitor.jpg
    18.6 KB
Back