Help wiring power to 2- UA1108, and 2- UA1008 pres

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duantro

I'm racking up a pair of UA 1108 solid state pre modules, and a pair of UA1008 tube pre modules in the same case, (along with 4 UA 509 passive eqs). I have the 2 power supplies in a separate stand alone box, along with a 48v psu for phantom. My confusion is, can I share any or all of the power grounds? B+-, H+-, 24+-, 48+-? I have a 7pin xlr connector that I'm trying to connect the unit to the psu with.  I feel this is obvious, but am not sure.

not a problem.
suggest you wire the heaters on the 1008 preamps for 12.6 VDC,
6.3 will obviously work but why stress the tiny  pins on the 7 pin XLR.
in the attached pinout, pins 1 and 2 are strapped.
recall that XLR pin 1 connects first and should always be the lowest potential.
the protocol adheres to pin numbering with increasing voltage.
consider a terminal strip where you can conveniently strap circuit common to heater low and chassis.

Attachments

• power.txt
    229 bytes
Thanks Gridcurrent! I'm also using Gotham tube mic cable, which has 2 thicker gauge wires for heater and ground. I'm thinking the 2 thicker wires should be on the 2 heater connections? Should pins 1&2 be tied to the case in power supply, in the rack case, or both?

duantro said:
Should pins 1&2 be tied to the case in power supply, in the rack case, or both?
I would tie 1&2 to the case only in the audio rack but there have been other opinions.
About the wisdom of using a 7 pin XLR with its small pins, other connectors would be preferable including EP or MS series.
But what you have should work.
Yes, two thicker wires for the heaters.

Back