Help With Substituting an Edge Card Connector

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

I wonder if someone could help me out with the following:

I'm racking up several Midas XL3 mixer modules. These modules use old edge card connectors that are hard to find and pretty expensive, so I thought of soldering cables to the pins on the card and soldering a newer connector to the cables and mate the newer connector to another one.

I've been looking in Mouser but these newer mating connectors seem to be a nightmare to find. When I see one that looks ok I can't find the mating one....
Like this one for instance: http://www.mouser.es/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=65043-001LFvirtualkey64910000virtualkey649-65043-001LF

Can you think of any type of suitable connectors pair for this? Obviously and ideally they'd have to be wire mounted and solderable or crimpable.

The original pin connectors on the board have 36 double sided pins (72 connections in 2 rows). The original edge card connector to be replaced by the newer on cable pair is this one:

http://www.mouser.es/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=307-072-520-305virtualkey58720000virtualkey587-307-072-520-305

As you can see, minimum order is 25 units which makes it very expensive since I only need 8.

Also, if anyone comes up with a different solution all input is very welcome.
Thanks in advance

Cheers
Sono

You could use conventional pin headers, crimp the wire and solder the other to a PCB. Could be a mess wiring all that though.

JS

Joaquin

Thanks for your reply. I had thought of that but there is a little problem. Ideally if you need to do maintenance or repair you would want to unscrew a module and disconnect it. If it's connected to a PCB that sits at the bottom of the enclosure I doubt you could disconnect it. You would probably have to unscrew more modules. Why isn't there wire mounted mating crimped or soldered headers? :(
Anyway thanks for the input  ;)

Latest posts

Back