Help with Switching Please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

I'm trying to mod a pedal with some switching options. It's 2 circuits in one box, a clone of the popular King Of Tone.
As it is conceived now, 2 switches allow to use Fx1, Fx2 or both in series. What I would like to be able to do, is to route other Fx in between. Using a switched jack connector at Fx1's out and another switched jack at Fx2's input should do the trick.

This is the outboard wiring used:
https://ibb.co/68jLkNp
My question is: is the grey wire that connects both 3PDTs the right place for both switched jacks?

Thanks in advance!!
Cheers
Sono

Using a switched jack connector at Fx1's out and another switched jack at Fx2's input should do the trick.
You dont need two switched jacks. Only the return jack needs to be of the switched type. Look for half-normal patch.
My question is: is the grey wire that connects both 3PDTs the right place for both switched jacks?
Yes.

Normalizing is the word that describes how a patchbay manages connections between sources and receivers.
There is full-normal and half-normal switching.
As I wrote, google for it.

Last edited:
I know what half normalling is in a patch-bay but I don't understand how it would work in the context of a stompbox. I always knew that normalled and half-normalled refer to how an input and an output behave when a jack is plugged in either the in or the out or both. What I mean is, I didn't know there were half normalled jack connectors...

in any case, if the "send jack" is not switched, wouldn't FX1 still be feeding FX2 when signal is returning from an external unit through the "return jack"?

It depends where you want to insert the 3rd FX unit.

If you want it at the beginning of the chain, then insert it on the grey wire between the input jack and left switch.

If you want it at the end of the chain, then insert it on the grey wire between the right switch and output jack.

If you want it between FX1 and FX2 then insert it at the grey wire between the two switches.

However, in this wiring FX3 will always be in the circuit. If you want to be able to by-pass it, you will then need another switch, unless FX3 has its own in/out switch.

When the FX3 is not inserted, then you obviously have to wire the send and return jacks in a way that the circuit is not broken, and this is where Abbey was giving you the wisdom.

Last edited:
I know what half normalling is in a patch-bay but I don't understand how it would work in the context of a stompbox. I always knew that normalled and half-normalled refer to how an input and an output behave when a jack is plugged in either the in or the out or both. What I mean is, I didn't know there were half normalled jack connectors...
It's not the jack that is normalled or half normalled, it's the arrangement of the two jacks. These two jacks are just a 1x1 patchbay.

in any case, if the "send jack" is not switched, wouldn't FX1 still be feeding FX2 when signal is returning from an external unit through the "return jack"?
No, because the output of the additional pedal/FX would take precedence on the signal coming from FX1.

Attachments

• jacks.jpg
    jacks.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
It depends where you want to insert the 3rd FX unit.

If you want it at the beginning of the chain, then insert it on the grey wire between the input jack and left switch.

If you want it at the end of the chain, then insert it on the grey wire between the right switch and output jack.

If you want it between FX1 and FX2 then insert it at the grey wire between the two switches.

However, in this wiring FX3 will always be in the circuit. If you want to be able to by-pass it, you will then need another switch, unless FX3 has its own in/out switch.

When the FX3 is not inserted, then you obviously have to wire the send and return jacks in a way that the circuit is not broken, and this is where Abbey was giving you the wisdom.

Fx3 would be a different stompbox, so it would have it's own On/bypass state and it would inserted between Fx1 and Fx2. The idea is to be able to separate the 2 channels of the stompbox basically.
Thanks for your input Sahib!!

These two jacks are just a 1x1 patchbay.

Of course Abbey, I apologize for being so blind! I should have looked at it in that way from the start :rolleyes:
The schem you attached I guess is worth a thousand words! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks a lot for your time and help!

Cheers
Sono

Latest posts

Back