Hexaphonic project, help and recommendations appreciated

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McSeem

Hi,

I have started a hexaphonic electric guitar project (not MIDI, pure analog). I've already installed a mag hexaphonic pickup, based on Paul Rubenstain's work. Also I'm going to install Graphtech Ghost saddle pickups and 6 (!) preamps. Plus, one regular single coil pickup at the neck and a hexaphonic sustain driver. I'm going to experiment a lot with wiring, analog electronics, as well as digital sound processing on a regular computer (possibly, 8-core) via an audio interface. Last 15 years I've been working as a software developer, so, I'm pretty familiar with C++ coding. But it will be later.

Now I have some particular questions.

1. What would you recommend as 6-pole low-profile modular pot? The only one that fits perfectly is Bourns, PTD906, http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PTD90.pdf. It's very compact, so, I can install it in the guitar. The problem is I can't find it on the market. Someone help me. Potentiometer.com assembles Series 388 pots, but they are too big and extremely expensive. I've also checked Vishay P11 series, but they very big too. Another solution is also Bourns, 3382 series rotary sensors, http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/3382.pdf - pile them together and add a shaft and stoppers (yet another pain).
It's also OK to use digital pots, Analog Devices produce a lot of them. In this case I don't care about the sound quality, because I'm going to control the sustain driver. But all of them have digital control interfaces, or just up/down buttons. I want to have an analog control, such that I could use a regular pot to control all channels. Are there any digital pots with analog control? It must be simple - just an 8-bit ADC in the control circuits.

2. The same question is about 6-pole, 3- or 4- pos low profile rotary switches. Or, it might be better to use electronic analog switches?

3. I'm going to experiment a lot with coils. What is the best place to order a set of wires from 35 to 40 AWG? Are there small spools on the market? The same question is about coil bobbins. Or, maybe there's a place where I can order a few custom coils for a reasonable price?

Thank you!

McSeem

Another question, what would you recommend to use as an integrated class D power amp of 2-5 watts, with analog gain control (say, by changing voltage)? If it's 4 or 6-channel, it would be terrific. Once again, the sound quality isn't important because I'll use it for the sustain driver.

I'm based in Maryland, are there any stores or markets with big bunches of electronic components?

Latest posts

Back