Hey! Im totally new to this..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppelin4Life

Hi everyone, my name is Dave, and I am obsessed with audio. I have a band and when I was 11 years old I bought a used 4-track and thats how this all began. Anyway, now I have a lot more experience (and a hell of a lot more gear) and I need a good compressor. Also good preamps, but thats another story. I dont know much about building electronics, but I know I could build an LA2a, as I've seen the kits and such. Could someone direct me to where I could buy the pots and caps and all thoes little things? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome to "The Lab"!

A good place to have a look at is Group DIY

There is a good overview of the projects going around, as well as practical help and advice. You'll see Kev around here too- he put together the GDIY site and most of the projects are done by members of "The Lab".

Check out the archives of this forum too, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Many here have successfully completed an LA-2a, with great results. The G1176 compressor is also a firm favourite here, check Jakobs DIY Site for some more ideas.

I can't comment on component suppliers, I'm sure some of the NY guys could point you in the right direction for good mail order companies!

Good luck with your DIY

:thumb:

Mark

Dave, the pots & caps aside, the magic (well, at least a percentage) part of the LA-2A, is the T4 optical attenuator, and the in/out transformers. So, if you've got those, than you're already 50% there! And, don't forget; Sgt. Pepper was done on 4 tracks! :shock: (How the hell did they do that!) :!: :thumb: :sam:

hey dave-

I started building stuff when I was in high school and I wouldnt reccomend an La2a or any other kind of tube project for a beginner. Its not so much thats its hard to do or anything, but the voltages present inside the box can KILL you, as in kill you dead put your body in a box and bury it dead. The first few things I built I made all sorts of mistakes which I had to trouble shoot and poke around and figure out, and until you are a little used to dealing with bending resistor legs and unsoldering components and stripping wire, all stuff that is easy, but takes some time to get used to and comfortable with, its probably better to not have to worry about how to get the wire off the post while at the same time hoping that you dont die in the process from a charged cap. Surely there are many people that started building tube stuff, but my advice would be to start with something solid state just so you can see. I'd also reccomend as a newbie, that you start on a project that is really easy for you to build right the first time, the trouble shooting aspect is a real bitch when you are starting out. Check out the schematic for a fuzzface and build one of those. Super easy to build, super cheap in parts and it will be a good primer on how much of a pain in the ass all the metal work is with these projects. Plus, if you play guitar, you'll have a badass guitar sound... Its good to get your feet wet on something easy as you'll get a good taste of the great feeling of accomplishment when you finish it. If you try something and cant get it to work, that can be really discouraging, start small and build up to larger things. By the time you have the know how soldering and stuff, you'll be way happier that you chose to try a La2a then as opposed to right out of the gate. If you are recoording and are going for a zeppelin drum sound you really dont want an La2a anyway, check out the ssl clone here, sonically its way closer to what you want to hear. The drum sound on levee breaks is just 2 beyer ribbons, adr compex limiter and a binson echorec and one plaster and wood room 2 stories tall.

dave

Soundguy makes a damn good point there; it's definitely a good idea to start on a low voltage project. (Although, technically, it's the current that kills you!) It only takes 1/4 of an amp to stop your heart, so, actually, anything with a AA battery, the right amount of resistance, and a few margaritas could theoretically end you. (A bolt of lightning is like @ 20,000 amps, just for perspective.) I was reminded of all of this today at work, when I was repairing a switch, and came in contact accidentally with the hot 240! (The circuit couldn't be de-energized, so there ya go!) :idea:

But, still, tube stuff with the lethal voltage is definitely something you have to give total respect to, which means proper handling (discharging filter caps, isolation transformer, etc.,)

The first audio thing I ever did, was a little guitar preamp with a 741! :oops: Yeah, it's funny to me, too, to look back on it now! But, that's how you learn, by doing! It also did NOT work right the first time I had it on; actually, it was intermittent. It probably only had about 10 parts to it, so it was definitely easy to build.

And, as soundguy points out, room eq, used properly, is better than any electronic device! :sam:

A good newbie first project is an adjustable regulated power supply.... you can buy kits for around $50.

when you're done, you have a regulated 0-15V split power supply, that you'll use for the rest of your hobbyist life.

It's got a mixture of AC, DC, rectification. Simple and easy to troubleshoot if it doesn't work.

MODEL XP-720K......KIT............$59.95
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p15.htm

My 2 cents.
Owel

I have been zapped SOOO many times by plate voltage.
Maybe that explains a lot of things!
Dosen't bother me anymore. I am use to it on a regular basis here at work and at home.

Now when I was in Idaho replacing a wattmeter at Bozo State University that was wired into a 4000 amp bus bar service without a disconnect, I have to admit, my hands were a little sweaty!
Had to hold the three hots and neutral in one hand and undo the wire nuts with the other!
The maitanence guy backed away while I was doing this!
480 VAC with a LOT behind it!

I learned later that this is routine for most electricians.

Electricity starts becoming Really dangerous at around 750 vac, when it can act in ways that are not found in your average Physics book.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :grin: :guinness:

It would be interesting to do some research on how many people get electrocuted every year, and by what means.
Heart condition is the real key.
I guy with a weak heart should be much more careful of course, but how do you tell if you have a weak heart!
100 ma to stop it, and 200 ma to reboot!
:grin:
Keep one hand in your pocket and use a alligator lead on your meter ground lead.
:sam:

the worse thing that ever happened to me was about 13 years ago..

laser supply... powered it down digging around in the chassis and brushed up against a cap.. damn that hurt like a mofo

you would think I had learned my lesson but NOPE

second time.... I was holding the laser head assembly... the head was *supposed* to be grounded as the anode is usualy tied to the case..

the ground came off and I became the damn ground...

the real pisser... the banks would charge up to 20K and discharge trying to fire the tube.... if it didnt fire they would recharge again and re-fire... got smacked twice before I actually realised what happened and let go of it

Back